recovery discs

bompa
bompa Member Posts: 18 New User

Hi All:

Hoping one of you good people will help me out.

1.  I have a Veriton X498G and an Aspire 5750Z which I purchased a couple of years back. I have just done a complete Restore on both, which worked great.

Now that I have all the Win 7 updates should I make new Recovery discs for both with all the updates installed?

2.  What are your thoughts and recommendations to letting Microsoft install Windows 10?

Should I do anything to my B1-730 Tablet.

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Recovery disks don't include any updates you installed, but just the plain OS from factory to re-install.

so, if you need to have a disk with all the updates, the only way is to create a system image (an updated copy of your installation), so you don't need to re-install all the windows updates; by the way i don't know if your windows 7 version has this option.

About Windows 10, i would follow this instruction to check if your laptops are suitable:

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36850#_ga=1.197989999.1394453040.1432193183

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Recovery disks don't include any updates you installed, but just the plain OS from factory to re-install.

so, if you need to have a disk with all the updates, the only way is to create a system image (an updated copy of your installation), so you don't need to re-install all the windows updates; by the way i don't know if your windows 7 version has this option.

About Windows 10, i would follow this instruction to check if your laptops are suitable:

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36850#_ga=1.197989999.1394453040.1432193183

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • maddoglee
    maddoglee Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi Bompa, 

I have an Aspire 5750Z and my HDD died and I'd like to restore to factory settings. Unfortunately my recovery discs didn't backup win7 so the option to restore factory settings is greyed out! Its so annoying. I obviously have no access to the recovery partition anymore. Is there a chance that you'd be able to let me down a copy of an ISO of the recovery discs that you've made?

Cheers, 

Lee.

• bompa
    bompa Member Posts: 18 New User

Hi :

I never used the recovery disks. When you click on the start boyyon a Folder names "Acer" should popup. Open that and check foe "Acer eRecovery management" It will give you the option to do a factory reset without the disks.

Hope this helps.

• maddoglee

Hi, 

Thanks for your quick reply! The computer doesn't boot as I've changed the hard drive. THe option to recovery without discs needs the original hard drive as there is a recovery partition on there.

I figured that since you've got a 5750Z that is still working, that you might be able to make some recovery discs for me that I'd be able to download which has Windows 7 Home Premium on it. 

I've got the sticker on the bottom of the computer for my product key, I just need to get the software as my only way is to recover by disc.

• maddoglee

Hi Bompa,

I solved it! I managed to obtain a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) and installed that onto the computer. I then used the Microsoft Activation by phone automated service to activate the copy of windows! 

This worked out even better as I don't have all the bloatware that comes with a new Acer recovery. I just got all the necessary drivers from the Acer support website. 

I'm just doing all the updates now, and hopefully I'll be able to upgrade to windows 10. 

Once again, thanks for your really quick reply! 

If anyone else has the same problem as me, don't bother looking for Acer Recovery Discs or returning the computer to Acer to fix. Just get yourself a copy of the same version of windows (even if its a dodgy copy) then activate it by phone! microsoft should have all the details of the product key with the computer so they know the computer should legitimately have a copy of Windows! Smiley Happy I can't believe Microsoft actually got it right this time! Smiley Happy 

Hope this post helps someone out there! 

Cheers, 

Lee.

• Fatalshell
    Fatalshell Member Posts: 1 New User

Where did you get your copy I have looked everywhere