message saying windows 7 not genuine. I am original owner and have not had it in for repair.

abacusriot
abacusriot Member Posts: 3 New User

Seems that after a recent Windows update, have message saying windows not genuine. Neve had this problem before - chatted microsoft and they said contact Acer. Acer said out of warranty and if I paid $ 139 for service package, they could fix

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer

Sadly they don't keep record of the Units COA. Seeing your the Original owner of the unit there should be a COA on the bottom of the system or the Side. If it is a Laptop could be under battery. Any case once that CAO is entered you shouldn't have any more issues with it.. 

James

• abacusriot

What is the COA? I entered the license key for windows that was on the computer and windows says no good. I also have the serial number for the machine. Thanks!

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer

That is what your calling the License Key... AKA 

Certificate of Authenticity AKA COA.... 

So I don't have to type a bunch of text... I will just offer a link to Microsofts page that talks about the COA... http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/what-is-the-windows-certificate-of-authenticity

About your first statement or I guess your question...About the price for your fixing your issue from Acer. It is a known fact that if you buy a Recovery Disc or However recovery would come for a or your computer. Most cases and for all the SNIDs of computers that I have done a search for, what it would cost to get a Recovery Media would only cost 19.99 or something as little as that.... Under the Knoledge Base it states that Recovery bought from Acer for a Acer product wouldn't need anything more for the software to be Legit. So I would go there, Check out what the cost for your computer with putting in your Info.... https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/   

Also unless you put in a software that wasn't a part of your recovery then it wouldn't take the key... Also part of the Knowledge Base, States that only Acer OEM software can use that CAO.  

James

• abacusriot

Thank you so much. I actually somehow fixed the issue. I uninstalled some recent updates and removed the sliu file. that seemed to work