dead motherboard

Regnormenpeter
Regnormenpeter Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hi, My motherboard died a little while ago (i think a week)  and then i decided to upgrad ewhile im at it but can/will acer give me a new copy of windows or is there still windows on the harddrive?

Answers

• Hello,

The Windows version of your desktop is an OEM pre-installed version (erecovery media). It works only with your Acer motherboard. They are linked.

That will not work with another motherboard. You can order the Acer spare part from your Acer store.

Microsoft OEM Partner Center:

"Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty."

France
  • Regnormenpeter
    so there is no way that i can fix it myself with a better motheboard without buying myself? Smiley Sad
  • Hello,

Yes you can but you would have to buy a new windows license from Microsoft.

France
  • Regnormenpeter
    did Microsoft anounce a date when they would be realising windows 10?
  • The lastest news, not before summer 2015!:

October 2014 - Technical Preview
    Q1 2015 - Developer Preview
    April 2015 - /BUILD/ - Universal Apps
    Q2/Q3 2015 (May/June) - Consumer Preview
    Q3 2015 (August?) - RTM (Release To Manufacturing)
    Q3/Q4 2015 (September/October) - GA

France
  • Spartan1
    Spartan1 Member Posts: 36

Tinkerer

The main question as I see it is can Acer supply a motherboard identical to the one that is dead?  If not, then according to what has been posted above, you should technically be allowed to re-use your original licence.  What operating system are we talking about here?

• Regnormenpeter
    It is windows 8 and i would rather get a new City of windows instead of getting a new motherboard with windows
  • Hello Spartan1,

The main question as I see it is can Acer supply a motherboard identical to the one that is dead?

Yes, you can request a quote and place an order from your Acer store in using the customer service form.

In the form:

1- You select in "Please Select a Subject: Other"

2- In "Describe the Problem:", you indicate the S/N.

3- Example:

"Price request for the following spare parts:

- P/N

- P/N

Etc"

You'll receive a quote by mail (pdf document). You can also phone them.

If not, then according to what has been posted above, you should technically be allowed to re-use your original licence.

It's a version preinstalled.

What operating system are we talking about here?

All Windows versions.

France
  • Spartan1
    Spartan1 Member Posts: 36

Tinkerer

Hi Laurent-14

I think you've addressed your reply to me, but think it should be addressed to Regnormenpeter who's the OP!

He mentioned he was using Windows 8...

• Regnormenpeter

does anybody know how i can contact acer via email? (the danish one)

• Hello Regnormenpeter,

You can contact your service customer here.

France