What kind of power supply do I need

dkc
dkc Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I bought a Veriton Desktop just over 3 months ago. I've used it for less than 12 hours. Now it does not have any power. I bought a PSU which will not work with the motherboard. I tried Acer support but cannot talk to any because they are saying that neither the SNID or Serial Number is in their system! I believe I even registered it when it was working. That has to be the most absolutely frustrating thing I have ever been through. I tried the phone, tried chat I simply cannot get help.

I need a PSU as soon as I can find out what kind I need. 

This is a Verton VM6630G-770092

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,017 Trailblazer

Hello,

First you could check your S/N or SNID here.

France
  • dkc

My S/N and SNID is reported as not being the system. I have already been through this both on the phone and the chat. I cannot get any help without these numbers being accepted. Clever way of not honoring the warranty.  I registered this new computer 3 months ago when I first turned it on, so why are the numbers not in the system? I do not want the warranty all I needed to know is how on earth do I find a power supply that goes with the archaic motherboard that comes with this computer. Since Acer is of no help, I spent hours of research only to learn that there is no power supply that I can buy that will work as is. The motherboard technology is too old. Instead I found adaptors to buy so that I can use the modern power supply.  I hope that I these will work so I can at least get it turned on, get my data off the drive, then throw the whole thing away.

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi

PSU Power Supply Units are very generic, except sometimes makers (DELL come to mind) switch pins around to control aftersales.

This link is .ru, yeah russian but not necessarily bad

http://pinouts.ru/Power/   and shows lots of variants possible.

So if you indicate, even photograph the plugs you currently have we may be able to move forward. 

Remember removing the Hard Disk and mounting it another computer can offer the opportunity to clone/copy the contents.  This raises the type PATA or SATA.  PATA has 40 small pins and a power connector, SATA has 15 and a power connector.

So 2 options new PSU or newish PC.

If in doubt please ask.

• dkc

I bought a new PSU - all of the new ones have 24 pin connectors. The Acer has a 12 (11). There is a also a 4 pin connector that is in a square configuration, not flat like the connectors in the new PSU. I found adaptors for both of those and am waiting for them to arrive.

Windows will not boot up if you try to put the harddrive into a different computer with a different motherboard. 

The aggravating thing is that Acer support (telephone or chat) will not answer those simple questions (you can't even ask) unless they recognize the SNID/or serial number. Why is the serial number not in the system? It is on the label is on the bottom of the case. I registered it when I first set it up and I was thanked for registering it. As far as I know this computer was described by the vendor as new, not refurbished. The manufacture date on the bottom label said 2015. Seems newish to me. I kind of wonder just how old it really is,

I am using an Acer laptop which I've had for about 5 months. It seemed to work fine so I bought the desktop to use temporarily when my much better computer was having problems. I really hoped to get at least a year out of it.