Veriton seizes IP address

mcat
mcat Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives

I purchased 6 Veriton X2631 machines.  When I plugged any into my network they would work but one of them would always occupy a second IP outside of the scope of my DHCP server.  There would be a duplicate MAC address and a second IP as long as any ONE of them was plugged in this IP would be occupied, causing a conflict with my equipment  I called support for an hour and they blamed my network.  I had new network wires run, replaced a NIC on printer and brought in an expert for 3 hours on my router and switches - nothing.  I called support again as I was able to  I duplicate this issue on 3 different networks in 3 different physical locations.  I purchased 6 seperate network cards and insalled them and the issue disappeared.  They still blamed my network after I explained this for 2 hours with support.  Eventually I FOUND the setting MYSELF - took 30 seconds to change and the issue was gone.   When I called to complain - they said it was outside of the scope of support.  REALLY?  Machines that grab an IP and cause a conflict and your support does even know why or how to stop it.  I told them I would tell them the solution when they pay my bill - $300 for my time and $300 for the network expert.  WORST. SUPPORT. EVER.   BBB is the next stop.  #NeverAcer

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

I doubt if the computers themselves had much to do with it.

• mcat

The computers when booted on three separate networks occupied two IP addresses - this IP address was not offered in the DHCP range and in one case not even in the same scope (a 192.168.0.xxx ip in a 192.168.1.XXX network) and it was always the same IP that was showing up. There was also a duplicate MAC address in the ARP table from the veriton - one MAC with that same IP that kept showing up and the SAME MAC with an IP that was operational within the network.  I found a setting on the computer that when changed resolved the duplicate MAC in the ARP table and the IP address causing the conflict disappeared.  Definitively proving that it was a setting in the Veriton generating the rouge IP address.  Upon what are you basing your "doubt"?  That you work for ACER?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

can you post a command prompt

ipconfig /all

when connected using 2 IPs?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • mcat

With all due respect, I have already found the solution. My methodology was sound, proved all six of my Veritons had this ‘feature’ and when the correct setting(s) that I discovered, were changed the phantom IP was no longer occupied by the Veriton’s MAC.  My problem is with ACER support who was unaware of this feature that was on by default. They cost me money by necessitating my bringing in an expert, re-running wires, purchasing network cards. They also cost me time as I couldn’t deploy the machines and had to spend time over the course of weeks finding the issue. Support should’ve recognized this on my first call, on my second call and after two hours they sent me a lame “Tom’s hardware” article and still insisted it was a network issue. Imagine a TV that every time is came on blocked the signal to another TV in your house because it was using the signal from two cable boxes and the TV manufacture tells you it is a problem with your cable provider.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

ok, sorry.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • mcat

No I'm sorry.  I have the solution and refuse to post it.  I'm not always this bitter.  BUT  due to the fact that  phone support would not let me talk to someone past level one.  They  made me spend almost 3 hours on the phone.   AND they didn't know (and still don't) that this is something these computers do by default, even when I furnished them with specifics. I usually like the machines, but the support was terrible, incompetent and costly.   It is stupid thing for them to have on by default as well.

• jchaler
    jchaler Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi, first of all, sorry for my english, I'm spanish. I have the same probleme, in the past with 2 acer computers my solution was to put a new ethernet card, it's easy and fast for me. Now I have 6 more Acer computers, model Veriton Z4640G, and I have the same problem. Can you talk directly to me with the solution?  If you help me I will be very grateful. But meanwhile, you have given me a clue, and I will look in the Bios.

Thanks for all.

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

• mcat

1) Go to BIOS -> Advanced -> Integrated Peripherals

2) Set  "ASF"  to Disabled 

3) shutdown - might need to pull power cord for a minute.

• jchaler
    jchaler Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for your answer, I tried to do your instructions, but my Acer computers don't have this option, but the computer have the "DASH" option, I dissabled the option, but I think this is not the problem. I continue with the search.

Thanks for all.

• mcat

Sorry I had that wrong:

advanced: Advanced Chipset Configuration then look for ASF

• mishkinson
    mishkinson Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi. I have the same problem. On my network, Acer Veriton PCs generate ARP requests with the source IP address 192.168.0.10. Disabling ASF fixes the problem, but there is no way to bypass all PCs. Is it possible to somehow disable the ASF remotely? Is it possible to disconnect ASF from the operating system? Or maybe it is possible to remotely change the ip address 192.168.0.10 to another?