Veriton M2116g shuts down by itelf

caitengl
caitengl Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I am copying someone else's question that is the same as mine (it wasn't answered due to a lack of information), but I am adding info for my situation:
"I am using my computer one minute, the next it turns off, but not completely.
My monitor says no signal, but the light on my computer tower is on still. I hold the button on my computer to turn it off, and no matter how long i hold it, it wont turn of.. I have to go to the plug socket and switch it off there to turn it off and back on again."

Acer Veritron X498G with i5 650 cpu. 64 bit processor. Originally Windows 7, now Windows 10. I have 2 of these computers and the same thing happened to both of them. When the first computer started doing this I retired it and started using the second one, after a couple of months it started doing it also. Occasionally, I am starting to also get the blue screen of death. Anything I am working on is saved when the computer shuts down. I haven't lost any work yet. This problem does not affect any of the other computers (HP Touchsmart 610-1030f, Acer laptop & Toshiba laptop).

I have a Seagate desktop 1TB external hard drive attached for document files, sometimes it stops communicating with the computer and I have to unplug it and plug it back in. I also have a Dell 3115cn all-in-one laser printer.

The computer runs all the time because the printer/fax isn't wireless and runs through this computer for the whole office. This is a work computer, no gaming or videos. Software is mostly internet and Microsoft Office 2010.

- I blow out the dust every couple of months.
- I run CC Cleaner about once per month, the cleaner and the registry cleaner.
- I use free antivirus (whichever one PC Mag likes for the current year, this year it's AVG).
- I have gone through the troubleshooting that Windows and Acer provided.
- I have run scandisc and found no errors
- I have removed all unused programs.

- I have wiped the hard drive and reinstalled programs.

The computer is at least 6 years old. I am not afraid to open it up if consensus says that I need a new motherboard/processor or whatever I can do that just snaps in place (I have 2 of them after all). I will need to know exactly what to get and how to do it. I am not equipped for welding or serious stuff like that.

Any instructions will need to be really dumbed down and step by step. Please talk me through as if I were your grandmother. I know more about computers than my boss or my husband, but a lot less than you do, please have mercy on my ignorance.

Thank you for any help and or insight.

Answers

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi

Well I see some positive things in your post, that you have retired but hopefully still retain the 'old' one. 

So we can experiment on the old one. 

The biggest problem will be 'No problem' in that it does not reproduce the error. 

Our next cause for concern is 'English' in that PC Mag is Ziff Davis is American and whether you can purchase a copy of "http://www.linuxnewmedia.com/Products/Print/Linux-Pro-Magazine-USA" or wherever in the world you are.

The X498G also sports a DVD burner so if the Linux Pro Mag has a cover DVD it should fit and play in your defunct machine.  Especially this one - Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zaphus Live because it will load and run without touching your old hard drive, more so if it has been removed.

So what we are trying to establish / remove from the equation is Microsoft.  The BSOD's wont happen with Ubuntu, but the power supply and motherboard will still be working and if failing should fail in Ubuntu.

So please tell me what I assumed wrongly, and what you feel capable of attempting.