Adding a second drive

Cooljoe
Cooljoe Member Posts: 25

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I have a new Acer. I want to add a second drive that came off my windows7 computer. That drive has all my movies on it. Will the Acer see it automatically to be viewed on my desktop in My computer?

thanks

Answers

• Spartan1
    Spartan1 Member Posts: 36

Tinkerer

Windows Disk Management will allocate a new drive letter for the main partition on this second hard disk drive.  Accessing this drive letter in My Computer should reveal the contents of the drive.  Remember that you cannot run programmes that were installed on this old drive, but you should be able to view data.

• Cooljoe
    Cooljoe Member Posts: 25

Tinkerer

Are you saying that the movies that are on it I will not be able to watch them?

• Spartan1
    Spartan1 Member Posts: 36

Tinkerer

Provided you install the video PROGRAMME on the main (primary) hard disk drive, you should then be able to instruct it to load your saved video files on the second hard drive.  You may already have the video programme installed on the main drive, in which case just instruct it to get the files from whatever drive letter Windows allocates the secondary drive. (Could be F: or G: etc.).

• Hi,
    HDD you connect may boot to win 7, if the HDD is still functional. If that's the case due to driver compatibility issues unit may malfunction like display, sound, NIC. To prevent it, once you connect the HDD get to BIOS and change the boot order to default / HDD with win8. Once unit boots normal yo win8 you could access any info from the added HDD. Cheers.