Acer Aspire VN7-592G-71ZL BIOS settings

Options
mooz
mooz Member Posts: 3 New User

So, I really want to love my new laptop from Acer, as it stands at the moment it's sort of a love-hate relationship because of how bad the BIOs is in these machines. It seems like Acer has absolutely no faith in their customers intelligence and take any precaution to preventing any sort of malfunction on the computer by limiting it's abilities to change from what was originally set in the BIOs...this really annoys me. I'm a systems engineer and work with more more sophisticated devices than this laptop and I don't need my hand held by the manufacturer. I bought this laptop because the hardware in it was put together smarter than other manufacturers, but of course in todays age there always seems to be some sort of catch on what you can actually do with your own laptop you bought. So here's a few things that really annoy the ***** out of me.

1) There's absolutely no recollection of Intel-VT in the BIOs, I read around on some other forums and they were saying that it was turned on by default, regardless if that's the case, it's ridiculous that the option isn't in there for me to configure if I wanted to.

2) I use Linux and wiped out Windows entirely when I got it using the default UEFI BIOs method without secure-boot enabled. Apparently, Acer's BIOs will only try to boot a operating system in UEFI if it's labled as "Windows Boot Manager". If it's labeled anything else, it will ignore those bootable OS's and bring you to the "No bootable devices" slash screen. Is this just a bug or laziness...?

Aside from these issues I'd really like a option in the BIOs to disable the onboard Intel GPU, since it's a pain in the butt sometimes, although not having a lot of knowledge on Nvidia Optimus devices, I'm not even sure that is possible from the BIOs, perhaps someone else knows the answer to that.

I also read around and people have even been hacking the BIOs using efivars and ghex to enable the typical BIOs options you'd see on a regular computer. This really grinds me up that you would even have to do this.

I love my laptop so far, the hardware combination in this machine far exceeds many of the other options out there, I really hate how Acer thinks we are too stupid to go through the BIOs and configure things though. It's a complete lack of trust on Acer's part, and may ultimately decide my option to return the machine for something else...

Answers