acer aspire v15 nitro black edition (2017) slow on battery works good plugged in

thefan
thefan Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

So i just installed all my apps and games to the laptop, and when running a game this "gaming" oriented laptop slow considerably down when on battery. When its plugged in the GTX1060 runs games perfectly, but not for some reason wen its plugged.

I read somewhere that some gaming laptops require a machine to be plugged in to run games well, but not sure if its the case here or if i am missing something else.

The laptop uses nvidia optimus, but when i go to geforce1060 properties i see that it is still running on gtx1060 and not the intel integrated one on battery, so i don't understand why the laptop slows down.

I feel its a general slowing down of computer, since i think other tasks on the computer slow a little bit too, not just the gaming. Anyone know what is going on, and what can be the cause of this. At this stage im wondering if there is an actual problem with the laptop or if this is "normal" behaviour.

Also if anyone has a fix, i would greatly appreciate.

Answers

• TokenCDN
    TokenCDN Member Posts: 26 Troubleshooter

Sound kinda normal to me.

When your laptop is running on battery it is probably switched to a power profile that throttles the CPU/GPU, to stretch the run time. You could go into the power management and change it to "performance" (it's probably on "balanced" now)

You can get utils that will show your clock rates and then you could compare DC vs. AC

• Arok808
    Arok808 Member Posts: 6 New User

While I dont have my 593 yet I can tell you that system throttling when running on battery is very common once you get into medium capability and higher gpu's. I am currently using a asus g751 and unless it is plugged in it throttles the nvidia gpu heavily. I imagine if you can run unbound there are going to be some serious effects on battery life(would you like an hour or two of gaming on medium settings or 30 min on Ultra? Smiley Tongue ).  When my laptop comes in over the next week i'll check to see if there is a any settings that might be what you are looking for, but from my experience you have to plug in if you want to tap into the full power of a gaming laptop.

• NDR135
    NDR135 Member Posts: 4 New User

I have the exact same issue with the i7-gtx1060. this is because cpu is limited to 800 Mhz when on battery. I can't solve this issue (i already tried every power plan and looked in advanced setings, everything is normal). I discovered this because I also had to perform a battery reset because it kept telling me that it was charged 98% even when i already used it for more than 2 hours on battery. The reset fixed the battery issue, but cpu remains limited. If I don't find a good explanation and solution by tomorrow i will send it back, because i think it has something to do with the motherboard. Does anyone know?

• Mr_Morningstar
    Mr_Morningstar Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

I only have the lowly 960m, but can also report similar findings. Seems like a commonality across the board.

Probably what I found even stranger was internet speeds on battery and plugged in. Did a test with a reasonably large file (6 gb) and monitored the transfer speed, and on battery I was averaging around 700 kb/s, which is 56k slow lol, was crawling. But plugged in, speeds comfortably were in the 4-5 mb/s range

I totally understand the principle of limiting performance to preserve battery life, but it's fairly drastic just how far they're willing to throttle the system. I will admit though, simultaneously burning a blu ray, downloading a few files and running some Fallout Shelter, the battery easily gave me around 3 hrs before I had to plug in

Not to say any of those are the most demanding of task, but my Lenovo G70-80 would've died in 30-45 mins.