VN7-591G Black Screen

kchinger
kchinger Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello all,

My laptop has suddenly started doing the black screen. Turn it on and get nothing at all, no beeps, no logo, no nothing. I can sometimes get it to boot (I'm on it right now): it seems to help if I turn it off, push in the battery reset button, hold down the power button, release it all, and then turn it back on. That will sometimes get it to boot. And once it boots, it's fine, unless it goes to sleep or is locked. Then it might not come back to life.

I've updated the BIOS (using the .exe method from the website, which I then verified in msinfo), updated all the video drivers just in case, and backed up everything to an external drive in case it stops booting at all.

The only change I've made is to add an SSD and use that as the boot disk, but I did that a couple weeks after I bought it, which was about 9 months ago now. I really doubt that's the issue.

I've seen that there might be issues with the mainboard and it might need to be sent in. Is there any sort of checking or other work I can do beforehand to verify that I can't fix it and it is indeed a hardware issue? I'd really prefer not to send it in if I can help it.

It has been upgraded to Windows 10 as well, but also many months ago.

Thanks,

Kai

Answers

• kchinger
    kchinger Member Posts: 2 New User

Any ideas?

I haven't had any issues for a few days so I thought maybe it was better. But then I tried to use skype tonight. Both times it worked for a few minutes, and then the screen completely froze and a horrible noise came from the laptop somewhere inside. Happened the second time except not quite as loud.

I'm guessing the video card has to be fried at this point and I just need to send it back in, but I'm hoping there's another fix possible. Being without the laptop is going to be a pain for work and stuff.