V5 473p / Others Updating bios with Black Screen Solution

vlynn8800
vlynn8800 Member Posts: 7 New User

Hello, just wanted to share my solution to updating the bios of v5 473p when you encounter a black screen.  I was having problems because Acer only had the .exe file for the bios of this version laptop.  When you want to update the bios from a usb stick, it does not contain any directions.  This may work for other models too, so here is what I did to get this to work!  

1.  Download the latest .exe bios file from Acer's website.  

2.  Run this file from any laptop or desktop.  

3.  When it fully opens, it will say wrong version laptop or something to that effect.

4.  Goto your temp direction where it was temporarily extracted (c:\users\(your username)\AppData\Local\Temp. 5.  Locate the folder where everything was extracted (in my case it was 7ZSDF07.tmp. (the file that you really need is the .fd file!)  

6.  Copy all these files to a formatted FAT32 USB stick.  

7.  Take the usb stick and plug it into your V5 473p.  

8.  Plug in your power cord, with your fingers holding down FN and ESC buttons, power on laptop at same time.

9.  Let go of power button and keep pressing FN and ESC buttons (you should see your usb stick reading) but your screen will not show anything.  

10.  Keep holding for up to 3 minutes.  Your laptop will shut off or power down.  

11.  Take usb stick out and power up, your screen should be working!  

This took me a few days after googling and trying to extract the exe file with 7-zip.  However with 7-zip, it doesn't fully unzip everything as it was missing the .fd file.  Hope this works for you!!

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

You can do the same thing with 7zip, but this doesn't work for Insyde 2.0 bios.

• vlynn8800

This was the solution I used to fix my black screen/keyboard lights on/power on problem for my v5 473p.  With 7zip, when I extracted the 2.30 bios exe it said there was some data after payload data and it couldn't open as PE archive only 7zip archive.  But it didn't extract everything as the .fd file was missing.  I found that out when I was on another blog and it said you're supposed to have the actual bios file which should be in the form of .rom or .bin or .fd and to goto your temp folder.  So I used everything I extracted in there to copy to my usb drive.  Like I said, it worked for me.

• vlynn8800

UPDATE:  I've had to do this again, so here's a few things I left out:

***The bios file you download from this site will be in rar.  Extract this to get the .exe

When you run the exe file, DO NOT close the program, immediately go to your users/(username)/AppData/Local/temp directory and copy the .fd file only to your usb stick otherwise it will disappear as soon as you close the program.

If you can't find your AppData directory, click the View hidden items menu in the top bar!

Then follow rest of directions, and it will work!