Touchpad not working

jdomb
jdomb Member Posts: 5 New User
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives

the touchpad on my aspire 5517 has stopped working and I can use the cursor only with a mouse.I have windows 7.I tried system restore and used devise manager.

Best Answer

• st3ph3nnity
    st3ph3nnity Member Posts: 220 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

This reply isn`t going to be much help to resolve the problem but I am posting because this issue is a continual problem...I also had this and also re-installed everything but to no avail...I went online and found many users experience this issue...it is the synaptics device and I have not read of one resolution...in the end I uninstalled the synaptics device and use a wireless mouse which at least doesn`t jump all over the place and works as it should...it is worth a thought maybe.

Answers

• st3ph3nnity
    st3ph3nnity Member Posts: 220 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

This reply isn`t going to be much help to resolve the problem but I am posting because this issue is a continual problem...I also had this and also re-installed everything but to no avail...I went online and found many users experience this issue...it is the synaptics device and I have not read of one resolution...in the end I uninstalled the synaptics device and use a wireless mouse which at least doesn`t jump all over the place and works as it should...it is worth a thought maybe.

• jdomb

thanks- I have a mouse and I guess that will be the solution

• gcsgupta
    gcsgupta Member Posts: 38 Troubleshooter

This can happen when you unintentionally turn of the touch pad on the laptop, I remember the AS5517 using a hotkey combination to toggle the touchpad. Try Fn(Function) + F7

• jdomb

function f7 asks if I want to use caret browsing? Not sure what that is

• gcsgupta

The laptop uses a hotkey combination, you will have to use it with the FN key (located next to the spacebar on your laptop) + F7 key on the top row of the keyboard.

By the way, caret browsing is a feature of Internet Explorer, the shortcut key to enable caret browsing is F7, when in Internet Explorer

• jdomb

that is what  I did. Fn key and f7. It asks me if I want caret browsing and not sure what that means

• gcsgupta

Close all the open IE windows, hold down the Fn key and press the F7 key.

• jdomb

thanks but still not working. I think I will drop the matter and use a mouse.

• terw
    terw Member Posts: 1 New User

many thanks. This had  been bothering me for weeks; problem now solved.

• GabarAung
    GabarAung Member Posts: 7 New User

Very very unhappy to use aspire v5-571. Smiley SadSmiley Sad

24 hours a day; more than 10 problems and errors a day for ASPIRE V5 too. Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Early morning, i get up and go to my laptop for work emails and facebook, START ERROR.

After a shower and breakfast, it starts then TOUCHPAD ERROR.

Bring it to office and get there 9:00 a.m, run TOUCHPAD then good but WIRELESS LAN ERROR.

Before i manage my office works, run WIRELESS LAN then good but goes to BLACK SCREEN ERROR.

After half an hour talks for stuffs, BLACK SCREEN ok then AUTO RESTART ERROR.

Half an hour later, it come back to windows very well but FAN is still sleeping.

Emails, market data pages are running. So I keep to carry on without FAN working. Some minutes later, SHUT DOWN automatically.

Try to restart, cleverly comes to windows back and FAN also works very well but CD comes out without commands.

Then to lunch.

After lunch, i resume my works. My laptop is also again to above ERRORS.

Then go back to my home at 6:00 p.m.

This is my work plans for everyday. Very Very Very Unappy with Aspire. Smiley SadSmiley SadSmiley Sad

• ryshevs9
    ryshevs9 Member Posts: 9 New User

I downloaded and re-installed the driver from Acer Support.   http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

I then rebooted and then hit the "Fn" key and "F7" key and mine is fixed.

I am using an ACER V5-571

I am relieved!

• Bene
    Bene Member Posts: 1 New User

Excellent! Many thanks @gscgupta for this simple solution!!!!

I had the same problem and thought I must have switched the touchpad off somehow, but couldn't figure out where. I now see the little blue icon on the F7 key and that will hep me remember.

Cheers.

• clnguyen123
    clnguyen123 Member Posts: 1 New User

Thanks for the suggestion of the function F7.  I tried it, then it locked it, so I redid function F7 and it seems to be better.

Appreciate your help.

• punkin5252
    punkin5252 Member Posts: 1 New User

I just found how to make my touch pad work again on my Acer 5532, beside the power button is a button on left side with pointing hand on it, I  pushed it and my pad started work

• reneeg77
    reneeg77 Member Posts: 1 New User

you are a legend. thank you. how simple!!

• linda1947martin
    linda1947martin Member Posts: 9 New User

it works yea fn and f7

• jfw6381
    jfw6381 Member Posts: 1 New User

This worked!!  Thank you so much!!

• udukoy
    udukoy Member Posts: 1 New User
    gcsgupta said:

This can happen when you unintentionally turn of the touch pad on the laptop, I remember the AS5517 using a hotkey combination to toggle the touchpad. Try Fn(Function) + F7

you save my life! thankyou.
  • DHConsult
    DHConsult Member Posts: 2 New User
    Had the same issue on my spin 5 and sorted by just pressing F7 without holding down the function key. This was not a software problem the touchpad somehow turned itself off. When I started my device I got a hand touching the pad icon with a circle and diagonal bar through it that told me it was a button issue.
    RESOLVED.                 
  • MarissaRobinson
    MarissaRobinson Member Posts: 1 New User
    Thank you! After hours of research and pulling out my hair, the fix was as simple as f7, not fn + f7 as instructed. (Acer Spin 1).