Need Thunderbolt 3 NVM of at least 14 for Aspire VN7-792G

jasonlatham
jasonlatham Member Posts: 4 New User

Thunderbolt 3 firmware on the system is outdated and is not provider on the drivers page. Anyone know

where I can get the NVM of 14 or higher (preferrably 15).

Most of the Thunderbolt 3 products out there require at least NVM of 14. Currently the port is useless.

Answers

• jasonlatham

I tried that. However, it only works with Intel NUC boards. It doesn't detect the Thunderbolt 3 chip on this Intel board.

• jasono
    jasono Member Posts: 4 New User

I also want a Thunderbolt 3 update for my VN7-592G, to set up dual monitors from that port. Thunderbolt 3 is advertised and marketed for my laptop but plainly doesn't work. Acer support has been simply poor and going in circles with me getting nowhere on this for 10 days. Acer should be addressing this.

• davidluk8
    davidluk8 Member Posts: 5 New User

What Thunderbolt 3 products you have to work with ? There are not many  Thunderbolt 3 products in the martket yet except RAZER Thunderbolt 3 graphic dock .

• davidluk8
    davidluk8 Member Posts: 5 New User

Acer Aspire V Nitro Black Edition (VN7-592G)91.07UnknownNoNVM version too old to detect adapter.

http://plugable.com/thunderbolt-3/support

• jasonlatham

Actually there are quite a few. Dell makes a Thunderbolt 3 dock, Plugable has 5 or 6 Thunderbolt 3 devices including a dock. However, every device I have looked at requires NVM 14 or higher which makes the Thunderbolt 3 on the laptop useless.

• jasono

I have a StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to dual HDMI and it doesn't work with my Acer laptop VN7-592G. StarTech support worked through it thoroughly and indicated the Thunderbolt 3 controller needs to be updated by Acer. Same issue has been repoted by Plugable who sell similar products.

• muz94
    muz94 Member Posts: 23 New User
    Any news about this? Will egpu be a possibility With this laptop?
  • muz94

Acer released 3 days ago a new thunderbolt firmware with NVM v15 Smiley Happy
    Does this mean that there is hope for egpu?

EDIT: i'm talking about vn7-592G, not 792

• blackhat
    blackhat Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    @muz94: where? there's nothing new on the support site.
  • muz94

Here, but as i said i was referring to 592G

ps: where can i check the new version installed? (so i know if the update has been successfully installed)

Immagine.png

• muz94

Nevermind

Immagine.png

• blackhat

Thanks! I didn't look at the bottom of the list. It should be sorted by date... But I can't install it (VN7-592G). The command line says: Error: 0x20B SDK_NO_CONTROLLERS - No active Thunderbolt(TM) controller found in the system or Thunderbolt(TM) software Initialize controller ...

Well, I don't have a thunderbolt device to connect and retry.

• muz94

mmm in my case it worked with no issues.
    Did you run it as administrator?

Maybe some missing driver/software?

• blackhat

Yes, I ran it as administrator, Intel Thunderbolt Alpine Ridge_10.1.1.9_W10x64 and thunderbolt software version 15.2.34.5 is installed. Hm, strange thing.

• muz94

i don't really know, better wait for someone else.
    however i have the same question as before: how do i check the nvm version?
    I thought i found it but it looks like i was looking in the wrong place.

• blackhat

You can see it in the Thunderbolt Software under Details (in case you have ever connected a thunderbolt device with your notebook). If this is not the case, you cannot see it. Intel has to update the software to be able to see it without connecting a device. (see: http://plugable.com/thunderbolt-3/support/ ) Scroll down to the end of the page. The last chapter explains how to.

• muz94

Ok, thank you.
    At the moment i don't have any tb device, let's see if someone else can update and give us a feedback

• jasono

I just installed the new firmware but no difference. My device is a Startech Thunderbolt 3 to Dual HDMI. It doesn't get detected on my Acer VN7-592G. Disappointing to see this issue still persisting and affecting others.

• RadeonHD
    RadeonHD Member Posts: 43 Troubleshooter

I have just installed the new firmware but I have no compatible devices to test . The update went well.