My multi card reader does not register when I insert an SD card.

laubscmj
laubscmj Member Posts: 2 New User

The card reader does not recognise an SD card, even though other notebooks do recognise the card and it is working fine in my camera. I have Windows 10 for a long while now. I have last used the card in the card reader during March 2016.

How do I check whetehr the card reader hardware is faulty or whether this could be driver related. If it is driver related, where can I find a Windows 10 driver as Acer does not have such?

Thank you

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

If the SD card worked previously and now it will not, try other known working cards if possible. It likely uses a resident Windows driver if there isn't a separate driver posted. You can check for an updated driver by doing the steps below.  If no cards work then likely it is a hardware issue that will require repair.  

Select the Start button, type Device Manager, and select it from the list of results.

Expand one of the categories to find the name of your device, then right-click (or tap and hold) it, and select Update Driver Software. It may be under Memory Technology Devices.

Select Search automatically for updated driver software.

• laubscmj
    laubscmj Member Posts: 2 New User
    I noticed the multi card reader still seems to read the standard size class 2 SD cards. The card it does not want to read is a class 10 micro card with the card adapter.

This is strange as the notebook read these class 10 cards previously, about middle March 2016. Now I checked the class 10 card in an older Acer Netbook and in another notebook and it works perfectly.

If have tried your suggestion many times and could not find a driver that works.

Any new suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you