DVD not recognized.

Johyn
Johyn Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Greets!

With the installled windows 10, here's the trouble: my DVD is not detected when introducin it, nothin hapen, though the games CDs are normally played.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Go to Device Manager, Go to view and check Show hidden devices, Go to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and click the arrow and uninstall each device 

ATA Channel 0,

ATA Channel 1,

Intel (R).... Serial ATA Storage Controller)

Reboot and see if DVD is recognized.

• Johyn

Tinkerer

Thxs, trouble is, there are no hidden devices to uninstall there, only a AHCI SATA standard 'sub folder', with a driver that I didn't dare to uninstall...

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

DO NOT uninstall the SATA/ATA drivers. While in many cases windows can have a "backup driver" to boot the system, failure of the system to put a SATA driver in place after you uninstalled it will render your system more or less dead, since Windows will not have a SATA driver and literally will be unable to "read" the drive and boot. Don't do this unless you really know how windows works and how you can restore a system if you are unable to boot into it.

But comming back to your problem, I understand the situation a little bit different. Is your drive visible in the system? And it is able to read CD's? but not DVD's? I am sorry if I got it wrong. 

In this case in device manager go to DVD/CD-ROM drives and uninstall your DVD driver, and try to restart the computer. This is not the same as uninstalling the SATA drivers.

Also, was your driver able to read DVD's before? Couldn't be that the DVD disk itself is not good or damaged?

• Johyn

Tinkerer

Thxs a lot for the warnin!  For your answer also, to wich I say that yes, the drive is normaly visible and playin games CDs. Tried to uninstall it, without any improvement. That's the firsts DVDs I'm tryin to play, they are whole seasons of 'game of throne', Blue-ray edition if that matters.

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

It's a blu-ray disk or is a DVD? If it is a blu-ray disk then a DVD drive will not be able to read a blu-ray disk. You need a blu-ray drive which will be able to read the disk.

If it is a DVD and it's not working, even after trying to uninstall the drivers, then you should test the drive with a DVD disk which you know it's working on another computer. It can be that your drive can have some sort of problem reading DVD's.

• Johyn

Tinkerer

Yep, a blu-ray and that seems to be unreadable with win 10, unless?

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

If you have a Blueray disk and you don't have a Blueray drive, it's not going to play.

Do you have a Blueray drive in your computer?

• biland
    biland Member Posts: 2 New User

go to settings in windows 10 and turn on metered conection in devices

• Johyn

Tinkerer

That's setled, cheers!