Can't get into the BIOS

PrivateUser
PrivateUser Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

(Acer Aspire V3 771-6865)

My laptop has been working fine, but now I can't get into the BIOS.

IMPORTANT INFO!:  I've been using one of those micro SSD drives for a while and it works great.  My cousin has an identical laptop, and poor guy is solidly NON technical, so I had him order an SSD and ship it to me.  I removed mine, installed his, got Windows 10 installed, etc...  Works perfectly.  I'll point out that both my and his drive are encrypted with Veracrypt, which means I turned OFF the boot protection in the BIOS (I HATE that *****).  I point this out because I know that'll be the first thing suggested, not because I have any reason to believe this is part of the problem (it's a solution to many problems).

After I removed his drive (ready to send to him), when I put mine back in, it will no longer boot.  Then I put his in, and it won't boot either.  There's NO OPTION for me to get into the BIOS.  Flash drives plugged into the USB port won't boot either.  None of my recovery flash drives will boot (I have about a dozen).

When I turn on the laptop, it shows, for a split second, the SSD name that's plugged (so I know it sees it) in along with my DVD drive name, then gives me the blue box teling me no boot drive found and to hit OK to go to the boot menu, which I do, and there's nothing there to choose.

Pressing F2, Del, nor any other key during boot changes anything.  I've tried every single key on the keyboard, one at a time, deligently.  I'm at a loss.  I'm confident there are no failed parts.  I believe this is a software problem with the BIOS.  I hate to throw away a perfectly good laptop, especially since there do not appear to be any more made with a full keyboard+number pad with a high enough resolution screen and big enough, at a low enough price.  ANY new laptop I get, will be a downgrade for my needs.  Plus, I don't want to waste close to a grand to replace a laptop that really SHOULD be working.

ALSO, I cannot send my cousin's SSD to him to install for fear that the PROCESS (not the drive) will kill HIS laptop too, and he has no financial means to replace his.

Even with NO drive plugged in, there's still no option to get into the BIOS.

Been out of commission for about 2 weeks now!!!!

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

one thing you can try is to remove the CMOS battery (you have to open your laptop) and wait 5 minutes to have the BIOS resetted, then put back the CMOS battery and check if you are able to enter BIOS pressing F2 (wthout the SSD plugged)

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • PrivateUser
    I've removed every visible screw and can't get the blasted thing open to find the CMOS battery. Anyone have any links to instructions?
  • IronFly
    Answer ✓

the CMOS battery is near the HDD SATA connector.

1507a__89372.1442333889.1280.1280

• PrivateUser

Ah!  Finally!  Thanks @IronFly!  After much forcing, which I hate to do, I finally go the keyboard popped off, then could get to the motherboard, after much more effort.  I've not got the battery out.  I've set a timer for 5 minutes, then I'll put it back in.  Thanks again!

• PrivateUser

Also, not only did that picture help me find the battery, but removing the battery for 5 minutes did, indeed overcome the bug in the BIOS, so I was able to get everything working again!

• IronFly

Good to hear it.