Can't Get new Battery to Charge in my V3-V31-4446

jessigirl68
jessigirl68 Member Posts: 4 New User

I just bought my new battery for my laptop and can't get it to charge.  I am working on Windows 8.1 system on the computer and I am getting frustrated that the battery is not charging.  I have found settings on the computer for battery which states when it charges and when it doesn't.  The options to choose are do nothing, sleep, hibernate or shut down.  Screenshot_11.jpg

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,051 Trailblazer

Hello,

Try this:

1. Go to Device Manager
    2. Expand Batteries
    3. Uninstall Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
    4. Stay in Device Manager and Scan for hardware changes
      The device will be re-installed
      Close Device Manager
    5. Check if the battery is charging
    France
  • jessigirl68

Tried it and it didn't work...any other suggestions?  I am really at a loss here.

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

May I ask you if your battery is at 0% and not charging? Probably it's a silly question but I want to be sure.

The battery will not charge between 95-100%,  it will start charging just if it will drop below 95%.

If the battery is at 0% you should try also to uninstall the Microsoft AC adapter and the Microsoft ACPI-Compilant  Control Method Battery. But I am not sure if it will help, since the post above suggested to uninstall one of these and it didn't work. Both of them are under the battery section in the device manager. Also try to set in View "show hidden devices" and if you have anything hidden in the battery, uninstall them as well.

And probably one of the suggestion would be to make sure that your cipset drivers are up to date, but I doubt that this will help.

Could be that the battery itself while is new is faulty?

• jessigirl68
    Battery is at 45% & tried what you suggested with uninstalling the a.c. adapter as well but that didn't work. It didn't reinstall Microsoft ACPI-Compilant Control Method Battery .
  • sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hello,

You can try to click on Scan for hardware changes icon in order to update the device drivers and probably it will reinstall the ACPI controller. However, at this point I am not really able to tell you  more suggestions.

If you would have time you can try to make a bootable linux USB drive (like ubuntu) and try to boot in linux (you don't need to install it) and see if linux will  charge the battery. That could mean that is a software issue in windows, otherwise it could also mean that is more likely a hardware issue.

• jessigirl68

I did get the ACPI controller to reinstall after restarting, but trying to do it through scanning for new hardware, it doesn't register the new battery at all.  So all I can assume is that the new battery is defective.  I put the old battery in and it charges okay (it just doesn't hold a charge very long when I use just the battery, thus that is why I am trying to buy a new battery for it).  

I don't know how to do the Linux USB drive so if I don't get instructions through here to try to do that for the battery while waiting for another replacement to come from this person, then I will try to research how to do that.  But if I hear otherwise that it is probably just a defective battery since my old battery is working with charging then I won't worry about it.

Thanks.