Camera Driver VN7-592G

mikesqui
mikesqui Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi,

I have one of the earlier revisions of the VN7-592G that came WITHOUT the intel realsense webcam that was introduced in this model from January this year. I'm trying to download the drivers for the older webcam but they appear to have been removed from the Acers drivers webpage. Anyone know where I can obtain a copy of the correct driver? Also, the Acer hardware detection software is showing as 'Not supported on this Computer', so I can't determine the precise make and model of the camera. Anyone else faced this issue?

Regards,

Mike

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

Hi Mike

Download & run Speccy. This program will tell you the Vendor of your webcam (plus other components of your laptop).

Then go to the vendors website - they should have a support page with all available drivers. Download & install it, and it should then work. Just create a system restore point in case things go wrong.

• Zephyrv
    Zephyrv Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I'm having the same problem, however in my case I the PC has stopped picking up the webcam altogether so I can't find it in device manager or speccy to find out what model it is. I'm on a VN7-791, not even a year old yet. 

• mikesqui

Thanks for the advice RE: Speccy. I've run the tool today and it is not picking up the webcam as per issue identified by subsequent poster with similar model laptop. I guess it depends how Speccy works... if if scans running device drivers to identify hardware then that's why it would not pick it up, if however it makes calls to the hardware then I might have a hardware problem here which is a bit of a nuisance....

• finlux

How about using system restore, to go back to a point when it was working?

If it doesn't make any difference, then it could point to an hardware issue, or a loose connection....

• Zephyrv

Any luck on the system restore? I don't have a restore point before all this started happening so can't really try it. The acer live chat suggested it was a driver issue but couldn't point me towards the right drivers, only the realsense ones. 

• mikesqui

Hi,

Haven't performed a system restore as yet, as it's such a disruptive process. I will just put up with the problem until such time as I am between jobs and have enough downtime to do a system restore on this laptop. I can't actually restore directly from Acer recovery as I use Windows 10 Professional edition; the recovery disks are pre-installed with the 'home' version of Windows 10. For the time being, i'm just plugging in an external USB webcam when I need it. A bit inconvenient, but not as inconvenient as doing a system restore which may/ may not work.

I will drop the laptop in for a hardware check under the one year warranty when I next travel to a country with an Acer service centre (Currently working in Laos).

Regards,

Mike

• Zephyrv

Hi Mike, 

Thanks for letting me know. I'll update you if I am able to fix the problem, but I'm also sending mine in for repairs in july so will try and let you know if they manage to sort it there.

• finlux

As you've updated to Windows 10, I can only assume that there is no driver for your particular model. How about emailing the vendor to see if they're going to produce one?

• mikesqui

This laptop model comes pre-installed with Windows 10 home edition and Acer provides 64bit drivers for Windows 10 for this laptop model. The issue is that the webcam hardware was changed from a standard webcam to the improved Intel Realsense camera in January 2016. I have a laptop that was manufactured in November 2015, and thus comes with the older webcam. Acer have removed the original drivers from their support website, and replaced them with the realsense drivers, which of course are incompatible with the original webcam hardware.

I was hoping that someone on this forum might have internal access to Acer's historical driver repository, so that they could post the old drivers that were published last year. Unfortunately, no luck so far......

• Zephyrv

Update from me. 

I sent it in for repairs and they must've decided the camera was defective as they've replaced it. It now has a Chicony Webcam with a driver from 2006 (according to speccy) and it doesn't look very high quality in terms of the video i'm getting through it so I don't know if it's different to what I had before. They also updated the system bios to v1.14 and updated my bluetooth driver. On my end I had no bluetooth, SD card reader or webcam when I sent it in and this does seem to have been fixed, and very quickly at that. I'm going to be testing it quite heavily in case something happens again as my warranty expires in about a month. If anyone knows what the camera in the original model was for comparison that'd be interesting. I'm scared to update the camera drivers as I don't want to go through this whole process again

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

I don't have that model of notebook so I cannot tell you for sure. But as I see, on the driver page for 592G there is just a single camera driver, which is from intel, suggesting that the original camera was from intel. But I don't see any specifications of the camera on acer webpage.

• Zephyrv
    Hi Sharky, that's partly the issue we had in the first place. People who bought these laptops around 2015 have the old camera whereas the new model contains the Intel camera. The Acer driver site only has the Intel drivers which means that anyone with the older laptop cannot reinstall their drivers at all. Even when I've spoken to Acer support they just link me to the Intel drivers which are for a totally different product
  • sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Zephyrv wrote:
    Hi Sharky, that's partly the issue we had in the first place. People who bought these laptops around 2015 have the old camera whereas the new model contains the Intel camera. The Acer driver site only has the Intel drivers which means that anyone with the older laptop cannot reinstall their drivers at all. Even when I've spoken to Acer support they just link me to the Intel drivers which are for a totally different product

Hi,

Sorry, me, *****, I did not read the entire post from the beginning. Thus, I would probably know this already.