Calling all Aspire V Nitro 2017 (593G) owners. Thermal issues discussion

2»

Answers

• Tfokus
    Tfokus Member Posts: 3 New User
    I think i have solved the problem of thermal throttling with my Acer VN7-593G-54ZB. The key elements are using Notebook Fancontrol software and undervolting with throttlestop. My undervolting settings with i5 7300hq cpu:
    Cpu Core: -150mV
    Cpu Cache:  -118 mV
    Intel Gpu: -110 mV

In NBFC i have set the critical temperature to 83 C, so that the fans start blowing at 100 % after that temperature. My CPU now almost never goes above 85 C even when playing very demanding games like pubg or kingdom come. And GPU temps stay at about 75 C max. Fans are pretty loud at 100 % but i use headphones.

In throttlestop i havent disabled turbo so the cpu is performing at max. And in MSI afterburner i have set voltage curve @ 1708 Mhz starting from 810 mV.

If somebody wants more information i can post more.
  • Thunderbird0904
    Thunderbird0904 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Tfokus said:
    I think i have solved the problem of thermal throttling with my Acer VN7-593G-54ZB. The key elements are using Notebook Fancontrol software and undervolting with throttlestop. My undervolting settings with i5 7300hq cpu:

In NBFC i have set the critical temperature to 83 C, so that the fans start blowing at 100 % after that temperature. My CPU now almost never goes above 85 C even when playing very demanding games like pubg or kingdom come. And GPU temps stay at about 75 C max. Fans are pretty loud at 100 % but i use headphones.

In throttlestop i havent disabled turbo so the cpu is performing at max. And in MSI afterburner i have set voltage curve @ 1708 Mhz starting from 810 mV.

If somebody wants more information i can post mo
    What fan controller software did you use? In MSI Afterburner you modified the iGPU?
  • Tfokus
    Tfokus said:

What fan controller software did you use? In MSI Afterburner you modified the iGPU?
    I use Notebook Fancontrol software 1.5.3 beta. I can attach here the config file i'm using for my laptop. 

The undervolting settings above are all for throttlestop. They work stable for my cpu.
  • fwedpie
    fwedpie Member Posts: 1 New User
    Tfokus said:

hey, I believe I'm using the same computer as you and I am in need of desperate help to solve my temperature issues. Is there a place we can communicate?
  • Devildude4427
    Devildude4427 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Tfokus said:
    Tfokus said:

I use Notebook Fancontrol software 1.5.3 beta. I can attach here the config file i'm using for my laptop. 

The undervolting settings above are all for throttlestop. They work stable for my cpu.
    I know it's been nearly 4 months since you posted here, but is Notebook Fancontrol still working for you? I can't seem to get any config file to run on my machine personally, so while I'm talking to the software dev, I'd like to see if it is an issue with Acer updating something.
  • Tfokus
    Tfokus said:
    Tfokus said:

I know it's been nearly 4 months since you posted here, but is Notebook Fancontrol still working for you? I can't seem to get any config file to run on my machine personally, so while I'm talking to the software dev, I'd like to see if it is an issue with Acer updating something.
    Yes, it's still working the same. There hasn't been any software updates from Acer. Btw, I'm using BIOS version 1.06.
  • Fethbita
    Fethbita Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

@Tfokus Hello, I have the same numbered laptop VN7-593G but I have i7-7700hq instead. I could not get your config to work. Is there anything you could recommend?
  • Fethbita
    Fethbita Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

With RW everything, I can now set the speed of my fans like this:
    In the Embedded Controller (EC) Change the 90:03 to 14 to set one fan to manual, and right next to it 90:04 should be where you set its speed. The highest speed is 55. For the next fan change 90:06 to 14 to set to manual and 90:07 to set it's speed. The Speed goes from 55 to FF and if you higher it, the fan will slow down.
  • Radar23
    Radar23 Member Posts: 2 New User

Just in case someone stumbles on this empty thread with the same issues, I'll put in what solved my problems. 

At factory settings, the CPU of this laptop is laughably overvolted. Simply undervolting by 100.00 mV on the CPU, and 80.00 mV on the integrated GPU puts the processor within operating ranges across the board. Playing a new, high end game such as Nier:Automata on high settings can't push this thing above 85 C, and it usually rests at around 80 C. For comparison, Overwatch on ultra pushed this thing to 100 C before undervolting. To undervolt, merely consult onlines guides. There are plenty out there. 

My Vn7-593g was hitting max TPD 100c on all benchmarks and gaming . total nightmare   

Today I repasted the CPU and GPU..  

and I use throttlestop to under volt the cpu by a - 146.8 offset.

now idle temps in Australian summer are 40c

underload prime95 v26.6 custom test 8 thread, 1344, 1344 in place    

max temps 75c...☺️ 

quick repaste  works.. and undervolting  is essential . 

• Radar23
    Radar23 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Tfokus said:

Nice post. 

In MSI AB i have 1900 curve from 1400 to 1600  . volts capped at 1000mv.

works greats.. 

TS at - 144.6 there abouts.

haven't disabled turbo.. speedstep on.  

38 single core. .

the cpu is capped at 34 in all cores. 
    have the cpu cache on 32 same underclock as the cpu. 

still testing . but since the repaste today the temps are always below 80c under load. 

it's an impressive laptop. 

been gaming sandstorm.   beautiful at between 90-120 fps with vsync on.  

playing via my lg oled 55" at 1080p 120hz...seriously great fun in my living room.   ☺️