Calling all Aspire V Nitro 2017 (593G) owners. Thermal issues discussion

Frediralled
Frediralled Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

I recieved my Aspire V Nitro 2017 15.6 inch (593G) laptop a few weeks back, and have had nothing but problems with it so far. I am wondering if other people's experiences are similar, so I can gauge whether or not I should send it in for repair. I'm in school right now so sending it in sets me back a bit, so I want to make sure if it's worth it or not.

Gaming Issues

Presently, gaming is near impossible due to excessive CPU temperatures. Playing an older game like Far Cry 3 at max settings can punch this CPU straight up to 100 C in only around 30 minutes, and stay there for the duration of a play session. This is with the laptop mounted to allow airflow underneath, a small fan blowing on the topside, and coolboost switched on. I've had similar experiences in other games as well. CPU idle temps are almost constantly ranging around 40-50 C, which isn't too great either. Oddly enough, the GPU is perfect temperature wise. 

Regular Use Issues

This might just be my narrow opinion, given that prior to this I've only used macbooks, but the fans run unusually loud during daily activity. That is, while browsing in chrome, they are loud enough that I can hear them. They also will rev up like a motorcycle engine on occasion, which is incredibly unusual. It seems to specific to be an issue, and might just be intended (Which would be even more frustrating). 

CPU Temperature Measurement

Using HWMonitor and MSI afterburner both show the GPU acting normally, with temp readings moving either up or down by increments of 1 degree C. The CPU can fluctuate per measurement by up to 20 C, moving from 60 to 80, or even 80 to 100, and immediately back down. Is this intended?

If anyone owns this laptop, would you mind telling me how you're experience has been and whether or not my unit may be defective or working as intended?

Answers

• Frediralled

Tinkerer

Just in case someone stumbles on this empty thread with the same issues, I'll put in what solved my problems. 

At factory settings, the CPU of this laptop is laughably overvolted. Simply undervolting by 100.00 mV on the CPU, and 80.00 mV on the integrated GPU puts the processor within operating ranges across the board. Playing a new, high end game such as Nier:Automata on high settings can't push this thing above 85 C, and it usually rests at around 80 C. For comparison, Overwatch on ultra pushed this thing to 100 C before undervolting. To undervolt, merely consult onlines guides. There are plenty out there. 

• mindtheory
    mindtheory Member Posts: 3 New User

I've been eyeing this laptop and the thermals are the main thing that's concerned me. Has it remained stable with the undervolting?

• Frediralled

Tinkerer

Completely stable after what's been around 30 hours of gaming (Albeit in seperate sessions). The voltages I listed have never crashed or stalled even once on me, however moving above (Say -110 mV) leads to hard crashes. Mileage really varies with these things so if you end up getting the laptop (Which I would honestly recommend considering my experience after undervolting), I would suggest undervolting at around -150 mV and moving down from there by increments of -10. Look anywhere online and you can see that the 7700HQ is heavily overvolted in any laptop its offered in. 

Also, if the thermals concern you that much, keep in mind that I'm getting 80 C on something like Nier Automata WITHOUT thermal repasting. Acer applies absolutely garbage thermal paste to both the CPU and GPU, so I should actually be getting even lower temps than this if I just took the time to repaste. I will eventually though. 

• mindtheory
    mindtheory Member Posts: 3 New User

Thanks for the reply! Have you looked at your temps while plugged into an external monitor? Have read for some reason that some people see the temps go up while doing that. Good call on the repaste - definitely can't hurt (if you know what you're doing Smiley Wink

• Frediralled

Tinkerer

Sadly, I don't have an external monitor available to me. 

• thefan
    thefan Member Posts: 6 New User

Sorry to post in your thread aswell, seems like im flooding a couple threads, but i also have this laptop, and when i start gaming while the computer is plugged in i get 60+fps on trials evolution, but when i switch to battery it slows down to less then 30fps.. So kind of wondering if you aswell have this type issues, and if it is "normal".

• Frediralled

Tinkerer

Appears as if the 1060 throttles itself to about half its performance levels when the laptop enters battery mode. Definitely looks like an intended feature, so there's probably a way of disabling it. Not to be rude or anything, but I'm just not interested in finding a solution. I never game off battery. Good luck finding a solution though. There has to be one considering its intended. 

• thefan

Yeah possibly has something to do with power output. Meaning that the battery cannot output enough power to the gtx1060 to run games aswell as needed .... Feels like everything else slows down a little bit too when on battery, but i am not 100% sure. I have not measured it other then observed it .... Smiley Wink

• Frediralled

Tinkerer

Power goes through the battery by mV to both the CPU and GPU at a fixed rate while charging anyways. There's no reason why you suddenly get "more power" to either when plugging in. It's just that you replenish the power you consume from the battery at a constant rate. Really, I would call them. There's nothing wrong with your laptop. There is a way to disable this.

• thefan

Yeah i understand, but i would not like to disable intel graphics completely or something like that (not sure if it would require it). Because if this computer runs on gtx the whole time it should be charging all the time because of that too because it drains so much power.. Anyway thanks! Smiley Wink

• Frediralled

Tinkerer

I don't think it's switching to the intel card on battery. I checked and my 1060 was still being used specifically for overwatch while I was on battery.

• thefan

Might aswell ask this since you obviously have the same laptop then me, but when playing audio, or starting a youtube vid or something, there is always this kind of "pop" sound right before the vid starts. Sometimes also happens on stopping the vid or audio. Do you have this ?

Kind of this type of sound that the speakers "start".

• Frediralled

Tinkerer

Nope

• 0meg4
    0meg4 Member Posts: 2 New User

Sorry to revive an old thread.

Got the same laptop.

Undervolted to -100.

No temps changed.

Undervolted to -120

No temps changed.

Tried disabling turboboost, and temps dropped 15°.

Have any advice? Should i keep undervolting? I've read of people undervolting the 7700HQ until -140 w/o issue.

• Sorig
    Sorig Member Posts: 19

Tinkerer

If undervolting -0.120v didn't lower temps then no amount of undervolting is going to lower your temps. Also some people get lucky but most 7700HQ's become unstable beyond -0.125v.

Sounds like your laptop needs repasting and even then I believe there is something wrong with the cooling solution in these laptops.

• 0meg4
    0meg4 Member Posts: 2 New User

I've read of several stable -130 and -140 and that's why i tried to.

Here

Here

And here

I ran primemark on -140 for 8 hrs. No crash.

Still temps lowered just 2-3 degrees.

Guess i will have to repaste, and as a last resource: Disable Turboboost. I've been getting pretty decent fps on BF4 with that thing off.

• AlexBanksAU
    AlexBanksAU Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi there,
    Return your laptop before your warranty expires.
    It is faulty. As I'm typing this message, we are contacting the retailer's CEO for service. Retailers are quick to take your money but not so quick to refund. Any laptop that goes above 90c and doesn't cool down, there's a problem.
  • utterbutter
    utterbutter Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    edited December 2017
    0meg4 said:

Sorry to revive an old thread.

Got the same laptop.

Undervolted to -100.

No temps changed.

Undervolted to -120

No temps changed.

Tried disabling turboboost, and temps dropped 15°.

Have any advice? Should i keep undervolting? I've read of people undervolting the 7700HQ until -140 w/o issue.

Wow I wish I saw this thread sooner. Been getting unhelpful comments that it is understandable that I am not getting temperature reductions even after undervolting to -0.135V . Disabling turboboost reduces temps by 10C but does it affect gaming FPS??
  • jambrosch
    jambrosch Member Posts: 2 New User
    So I initially got to 100°C within 5 seconds with prime95, so I did the following:
    • cooling pad
    • undervolt (proably got a good CPU, mine is still stable at -165mV, after 12h XTU test
    • repaste (with MX-4)
    temps are now down to 60°C in XTU stress test, 70°C in prime95 Blend, both at 3.4GHz, with fans running very silent. Couldn't really believe the results.

With prime95 max heat preset + Kombustor GPU-burn-in after 10-15 minutes it maxes at around 95°C, but at this point the turbo boost is practically permanently off (so 2.8GHz)

Warranty is probably gone after repasting, but totally worth it, since the lappy will now probably make it a few years longer.  B)
  • illenic
    illenic Member Posts: 64 Die Hard WiFi Icon

Just in case someone stumbles on this empty thread with the same issues, I'll put in what solved my problems. 

At factory settings, the CPU of this laptop is laughably overvolted. Simply undervolting by 100.00 mV on the CPU, and 80.00 mV on the integrated GPU puts the processor within operating ranges across the board. Playing a new, high end game such as Nier:Automata on high settings can't push this thing above 85 C, and it usually rests at around 80 C. For comparison, Overwatch on ultra pushed this thing to 100 C before undervolting. To undervolt, merely consult onlines guides. There are plenty out there. 

Is this method applicable to the nitro 5 5151-51-705Q as well? Also when you say to under volt the integrated gpu as well, are you talking about the Intel graphics that are on here or the Nvidia? Mines got the core i7 and the 1050Ti. Does undervolting void the warranty?