Battery plugged in, not charging Acer Aspire V Nitro VN7-791G-76Z8

nightwyrm
nightwyrm Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in Nitro Gaming

Just bought a new Acer Aspire V Nitro VN7-791G-76Z8 a  couple of days ago.  I've kept the laptop plugged in but the battery level has been dropping by about 1% per day.  The power charging light is always blue and it says "plugged in, not charging".  I'm running Windows 10 and have installed the Power Management update from the Acer Care Center app.  What's wrong and how do I fix it.

Thanks

Answers

• Hello,

Have you tried a battery reset?

1. Disconnect the AC adapter.
    2. Gently insert a paperclip in the battery reset hole on the bottom side of your laptop.
    3. Reconnect the AC adapter, and resume normal use.
    France
  • nightwyrm

Tinkerer

Tried it but the problem persists.  I turned off my laptop and disconnected it  Pushed a pin into the hole and then reconnected everything and turned it back on.  It's still showing plugged in, not charging.

• Do you see in the device manager:

• Batteries
      • Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
    France
  • nightwyrm

Tinkerer

Yes, I can see Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery in the device manager.  I've already tried  the uninstalling it and scanning for new hardware method.  Still have the same problem.

• Latest questions:

1. Have you load the default settings in the bios setup utility?
    2. Have you updated all drivers Win 8.1-->Win 10? E.g Chipset driver
    France
  • nightwyrm

Tinkerer

1. Was not aware there is a BIOS setup utility.  How do I access it and what should I do then?

2. I'm not sure which are Win8.1 drivers and which are Win10.  What versions of which driver should I have?  If I look at the driver updates on the Acer Care Center, the only ones available for updates are for things like mouse, keyboards and USB things.

• You'll find the drivers for Windows 10 on your Acer support.

First I would update the chipset driver or you can compare the version in the device manager - properties.

On the website, select your actual OS: Windows 10 32 or 64-bit.

About the bios setup utility, we'll see later.

France
  • nightwyrm

Tinkerer

Downloaded and ran Chipset_Intel_10.1.1.8_W10x64_A from your link.  Not sure if it did what it was suppose to do.  The driver versions of my CPU Processors are still 10.0.10586.0.  In any case, the battery problem persists.

• nightwyrm

Tinkerer

Hi,

Apparantly one of the things did the trick.  My battery is charging now.  Just took awhile to get it going.  Thanks for all your help.

• jaytpc
    jaytpc Member Posts: 1 New User

Im using a 1 month new Acer Aspire V Nitro VN7-792G & for some reasons the laptop shuts off whenever I unplugged it & I can only turn it on when I plugged it in. However it shows that it's 92% charged (different % every time) please do advise on this & revert. Thanks

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

DId you try to do a battery reset. There is a small pinhole on the back of the notebook which will simulate a removal of the battery. You should push it for 5 seconds, after you turned off the notebook and disconnected the power. I am not sure if it will help or not.

If it will not be helpful I think you should check the notebook in a service center since it's just one month old.

• Mexolotl
    Mexolotl Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi, since yesterday I have a similiar issue with my Acer VN7-592G.

It shows 0% Battery not charging. 

If I unplug the AC Adapter it is not going shutdown, only a battery warning but still running so it looks like the battery is still working ...

I have updated the Chipset Driver, AMT Driver, several times pushed the battery reset button...

Nothing seems to help, any suggestions?

• Mexolotl
    Mexolotl Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi, now my Battery is working again.

I followed again this instruction here:

https://uk.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34842/~/internal-battery-reset#_ga=1.72247824.284422339.1456933668

Instead of 5 min, I left my Laptop without Power about 10 min. Than put the AC in and started, no success ...

I left my Laptop with AC plugged in over night turned off.

In the morning, I plugged AC off and started my Laptop (in battery mode) and now the battery status appears again.

• Opera
    Opera Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have an Acer Aspire 5742G running Windows 7 64bit (german edition). The original 4000mA battery has been relaced by a 6600mA battery.  When I disconnect and reconnect the AC adapter it is charging the battery for about 10 seconds. Then it stops charging. The battery remains at 14% loaded.

I have checked the smart battery with utility HWinfo64 and this tools says: ManufacturerName: PANASONIC, SerialNumber: 1005, UniqueId: 1005PANASONIC_LI_Ion_4000mA.
    Similar information when using utility 'Battery Care'.

Does Windows store that Battery information in its registry and where?
    What needs to be done to detect the installed battery correctly?
    Can I force a load of the battery?
    Power status: ON AC Power, Current Voltage: 12.040Volt, Current Capacity: 9979mwh (14.0%)

Thanks & Regards,M.
  • habeeb1998
    habeeb1998 Member Posts: 3 New User
    I had the same problem but I didn't notice the problem when the laptop was connected to AC, I tried resetting the battery, uninstalling that Microsoft thing in device manager but nothing seemed to work, I saw tightening the screws was a solution, so i tightened all the screws slightly and it worked
  • JWA1979
    JWA1979 Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    [SOLVED]
    I had the same issue mentioned above with my battery not charging on my AN715-51-796C laptop. I sent mine in for repair but Acer couldn't not replicate the issue. They gave me a free Chicony power adapter. My laptop seemed to be working fine with the new adapter until a month later I started having the same issue again. I called Acer again but they couldn't provide any new help other than to send me another power adapter. I decided to perform a very general Google search on "laptop battery not charging" and found a CNET article titled: "How to fix a Windows 10 laptop that's plugged in but isn't charging". The article provides straightforward instructions on how to resolve the issues. Listed below is the link, with the instructions outlined. So far, the fix is working for me. Hopefully it will help others having this same issue. 

• Open the Device Manager by searching for it or right-clicking the Start button and selecting Device Manager.
    • Click Batteries on the list to expand it and you should see two items: Microsoft AC Adapter and Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery.
    • Right-click ON EACH ITEM (BOTH) and choose Uninstall device. Yes, you are uninstalling your laptop's battery drivers, but don't worry because they will automatically be reinstalled when you restart your laptop.
    • Shut down your laptop.
    • Unplug the power cable from your laptop.
    • If your laptop has a removable battery, remove it. My laptop does not have a removable battery. I tried skipping this step but it didn't work, so I removed the bottom panel of my laptop and then removed the battery by disconnecting it from the motherboard.
    • Put the battery back in if you removed it.
    • Plug in your laptop.
    • Power on your laptop.
    • Click the battery icon in the system tray and you should see that your laptop is plugged in and charging.

• HadiNahavandi
    HadiNahavandi Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello,

Have you tried a battery reset?

1. Disconnect the AC adapter.
    2. Gently insert a paperclip in the battery reset hole on the bottom side of your laptop.
    3. Reconnect the AC adapter, and resume normal use.

thanks,
    it resolved my problem.
  • JRoughgarden
    JRoughgarden Member Posts: 1 New User

Periodically, mine will not charge when plugged in.
    To fix it, I unplug it and let it run down completelly. Then when I plug it in again, it charges to100%! ☺️

• Acer-Samuel
    Acer-Samuel Moderator Posts: 685 Moderator

Hi @JRoughgarden,

Thank you for joining our Acer community.

It looks like you have posted a comment in one of the oldest topic. We request you to create a new topic by specifying the issue and unit model number. This would help others to check and assist ASAP.

Regards,

Acer-Samuel

This discussion has been closed.