Aspire V3-772G increasing VRAM

alexantosh
alexantosh Member Posts: 31 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Hello everyone, how are you?

I was wondering if anyone knows how i can increase the VRAM, of my PC. Apparently, to run some applications ( and games ), i need more than the default 32MB VRAM. I was happy to notice that I can do some computation intensive work rather comfortably with this machine but a little depressed when it couldnt run a few applications that Laptops with 4gb ram and about 300GB hard disk space could run with ease. My graphics card is about 4gb, i think, 1TB disk space and 32 GB RAM but the computer lags when running some games and does not open some games and applications at all. I find this rather strange. Any solutions or suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • alexantosh

Hi, i tried that. but it doesn't help. The problem persists. Thanks for the reply anyway. 

• alexantosh

@Ace IronFly, also i tried that technique on some other programs ( two games for this case - Mortal Kombat ) but the a pop up error saying that "You don't have the privilege to select the graphics processor in this menu". "Select the preferred graphics processor for the program in the NVIDIA control panel". When i open the Nvidia control panel, Acer Clear.Fi (clearfimedia.exe) opens and the  preferred graphics processor for it is the integrated graphics. I can not change this because the drop down menu is blurred out. So i Can not do anythin about it. Could this be the problem?

• IronFly
  • alexantosh

Hi, yes, my drivers are up to date. I downloaded some of them and re installed them nonetheless, but in vain. The problem still persists.

• IronFly

the only way to assign a program to nvidia VGA is on my link.

can you post a screenshot of your nvidia control panel with that option?

• alexantosh
  • alexantosh

Sorry for the late reply, but something came up.

• IronFly

This is the correct panel.

if you program is missing from the list, you can untick the option "show only programs found on this computer" and check from the list if your program is available; if not, you can click on ADD and browse to the program executable and add it.

• alexantosh

What am saying is that, i did all that but it didnot fix the  VRAM problem. 

Ultimately am not able to run some programs or some lag and the computer overheats while running others, which should not be the case as computers with less specs are able to run these programs with great ease.

• IronFly

That's strange, since this will force the programs to use your nVidia card.

• alexantosh

yeah i know, one time it overheat it actually suddenly shutdown.

• IronFly

Can you check if you are using High/Max performance under power plan?

• alexantosh

yes I am, that was the first thing I changed after a little googling Smiley Happy 

• IronFly

ok, no more ideas, sorry. Smiley Happy

• alexantosh

Thanks anyways Smiley Happy , I guess there is just no way to increase VRAM in acer Smiley Sad(. there is no way am buying an acer ever again. I will try to sell of this one and just buy another pc, i won't care about the specs any more. i will go after quality. Lesson hard learned from experience.

• norvell84
    norvell84 Member Posts: 9 New User

Right click on desktop and select Nvidia Control Panel then  under Manage 3D settings select global settings and set the Nvidia card.

Next download this little file for   Nvidia optimus design   laptops
    Direct link - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/download/1000017083

Just paste the file in the main game folder (where the .EXE is) and BOOm there you go.

IF it does not work then all you can doing is going back to
    'manage 3D setting'
    and select 'program settings'
    and under 'select the preferred graphics processor for this program'
    select your Nvidia card

• ElizabethS
    ElizabethS Member Posts: 845 Practitioner WiFi Icon

While our members are generally eager to provide useful information, be advised that Acer does not validate third party external links for downloads or content and is not responsible for them. Acquiring files through such links or using directions found there is at the user’s own risk.