Aspire V3-371 Touchpad Freezing

snowbanche
snowbanche Member Posts: 4 New User

I have a brand new Aspire V3-371-596F.  Since the first boot, I have been having problems with the touchpad freezing randomly.  The two finger sroll is reversed and I cannot access any settings to change the direction, either.  I downloaded the suggested Synaptics driver from the Acer website, but Windows will not let me install the driver for the touchpad. 

When I go into Device Manager -> Mice and other pointing devices, there is only one device listed: HID-compliant mouse.  It says the manufacturer is Microsoft, and not Synaptics.  When I try to Update Driver, I select the downloaded Synaptic driver it says the best driver for my device is already installed.

How do I tell the computer that it does not have a Microsoft mouse installed so I can use the correct Synaptics driver?  

Thanks for any help.

Edit:  I should also mention that a Synaptics HID Device does show up under Device Manager -> Human Interface Devices.  However, windows does not seem to recognize that this device is the mouse.

Answers

• Veso-BG
    Veso-BG Member Posts: 4 New User

I have exact the same problem. Aspire V3-371-35TZ and Windows 8.1 (64bit)

• zumtotal
    zumtotal Member Posts: 17 New User

Many people have this 'problem', but actually it's by design. We have a 'precision' touchpad, not Synaptics. It's very limited in adjustments. If you open charms, then choose settings>change PC settings and search for touchpad, you will get the relevant page. You can reverse the two-finger scrolling direction, but not much else.

• snowbanche

I got the scroll direction switched, thanks.  Acer should update their website so it does not recommend installing an incorrect driver for the touchpad...  I chatted with someone at Acer customer support this morning and they sent me the Synaptics driver as well.

Any suggestions on the issue with the touchpad freezing?  It is rather frustrating, when it freezes I have to shut the lid of the computer to put the computer to sleep, and then when it wakes up the mouse works for a while but eventually freezes again.

• zumtotal
    zumtotal Member Posts: 17 New User

Sorry, I've not experienced the freezing problem on my E3, but I think I saw another thread about that. Have you searched? I think the V5 and E5 touchpads are the same as yours.

• monique_apple
    monique_apple Member Posts: 9 New User

Hello,

I have the same problem,

when it freezes I use Fn + F7 to unfreeze several times

of course touchpad works just for a short while after but that's another way to not get crazy

I work for hours so this problem really is BIG to me !!!

any solutions ?

• monique_apple

snowbanche wrote:

I got the scroll direction switched, thanks.  Acer should update their website so it does not recommend installing an incorrect driver for the touchpad...  I chatted with someone at Acer customer support this morning and they sent me the Synaptics driver as well.

Any suggestions on the issue with the touchpad freezing?  It is rather frustrating, when it freezes I have to shut the lid of the computer to put the computer to sleep, and then when it wakes up the mouse works for a while but eventually freezes again.

I have downloaded driver for synaptics but it didn't help much Smiley Sad

• monique_apple

snowbanche wrote:

I just been informed that should do BIOS update and if this won't help than ... SERVICE - touchpad considered broken Smiley Wink

• monique_apple

monique_apple wrote:

snowbanche wrote:

I just been informed that should do BIOS update and if this won't help than ... SERVICE - touchpad considered broken Smiley Wink

good news,

after bios update is working smoothly

hope for good Smiley Happy

keep u updated Smiley Happy

• monique_apple

well, I figured, for now, must use external mouse Smiley Sad

mean STILL freezing !!!

• Veso-BG
    Veso-BG Member Posts: 4 New User

After BIOS update the touchpad is still freeezing !

• monique_apple

yes, same experience - just waiting for info from help desk - using external mouse Smiley Wink

• monique_apple

i was advised to restore factory settings,

• sauying
    sauying Member Posts: 5 New User

I bought V3-371 on 1st September (Malaysia Set)

Problems on touchpad also...

freezing and not sensitive ...sometime it doesn't move and jerking ...

Tried few solution

1) Reset , format and reinstall windows - Touchpad freezing also !

2) Update BIOS - Touchpad freezing also !

3) Install Synaptics drive which has been released on 16.9.14 - Touchpad freezing also !

4) Applied screen protector on touchpad - Touchpad freezing also !

5) use external mouse - no problem at all !!

i call authorize Acer service center in Malaysia - Highpoints

They told me that something wrong with the touchpad .. need to sent in.

They've received the Report and Service Solution from HQ.. which means this is Hardware Defeat !!

Acer should admit it and recall this batch of V3-371 ... why they never do this ! felt disappointed!

• snowbanche

I updated my BIOS as well, mouse is still freezing but not as often now.  I think I am just going to return this thing.  It sounds like it is a hardware problem that cannot be fixed.

• julienb
    julienb Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi all,

I have the same issues as you all on my aspire v3-371 : touchpad stops working randomly, need to Fn+F7 multiple times to re-enable it.

I went through all the steps like you (use recovery partition to reset PC, update BIOS, update driver by hand using update given by acer) but nothing works...

I've bought my aspire v3-371 in France, and I'd like to know if returning my PC to repair center will fix the problem?

Does anyone have already returned his PC and got back a working touchpad?

Thanks in advance,

Julien.

• sauying

hi bro,

Not going to sent it because the service centre told me they need few days to check the problems.. 

Anyway, i really hoped that ACER should take note on this problem ... SERIOUSLY !!!

Can someone sent an email to Acer HQ and describe this problem to them ... 

what we need is 

• monique_apple

Hi, I also think they should FIX this Problem ASAP and do not even think of giving away my new comp,

especially since it's working ok besides that - and eventually using external mouse for a short while is not a problem,

definitely we should write down to them, to the HQ - resposible for such release to the market.

• sauying

yes bro, totally agreed with you !!

[edited to comply with guidelines]

• monique_apple

I've made request and described the problem with technical consultant, informed about this discussion as well, hope they will solve it soon - I should be informed as soon as it's fixed - try to think positive Smiley Happy

• sauying

Did they ask you to sent in the unit >? or just waiting for their answer ?

Acer should alert on such hardware defeat....