Aspire V3-112P and the touchpad freezes

Ariopad
Ariopad Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hi,

I have a V3-112P just few months old. The touchpad started to freez few weeks ago and is very irritating. Nothing helped sofar.

Reading the pages here I see there are many others with same problem and seems like there is no solution since late 2014.

This is my 5th Acer since 2005 and until last one Aspite 1830T i had before i always was very satisfied, but problems started with the 1830T. Same problem freezing touchpad. As i couldnt find a solution and I was happy with Acer I bought the later one V3-112P but it has same problem.

In case the problem remains this will be last Acer I have bought.

Answers

• GuruAid-CS
    GuruAid-CS Member Posts: 467 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

In this case, you are advised to reinstall touchpad drivers for your model and check if that works. To download the latest drivers, you can follow the steps below:
    1. Go to http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers
    2. Type Aspire V3-112P in the box below "Search by Product Model" and click "Search".
    3. Once your product details are displayed, go to "Driver" tab.
    4. Click "Download" besides your touchpad drivers and follow on-screen instructions to download and install the same.

Hope this will help you.

• zlp
    zlp Member Posts: 4 New User

It's a hardware problem.

My Acer ES1-111M touchpad was freezing constantly too. It was intermittent at best so the laptop was unusable. I sent it to Acer for warranty repair and they just re-installed Windows (and deleted my programs!) Their service is absolutely terrible!

I opened it up and fixed it myself. Now it works perfectly!

I show my steps here:

http://www.zachpoff.com/diy-resources/acer-laptop-touchpad-fix

• Rikki
    Rikki Member Posts: 4 New User

I may have stumbled onto a possible workaround for the freezing touchpad issue. Like many others this problem started for me a month or two after I bought my Aspire. I tried many solutions, including reinstalling the drivers, but nothing helped. While experimenting, I uninstalled the HID-compliant mouse driver as I had done before but this time I did not let Windows reinstall it. Instead, I just deleted the two mouse driver files after copying them to another folder. This causes an error and a yellow triangle now appears next to the mouse setting in Device Manager. However, in spite of this my touchpad mouse still works exactly as before. Only now it hasn't frozen once for three days! This might just be a coincidence but I don't think so. It has never gone this long without freezing since the problem started. So if you are stuck with this stupid and very irritating problem, it might be worth a try.

• chue
    chue Member Posts: 2 New User

I have the exact same laptop model as you (V3-112P) and had the same touchpad issues.

ZLP's fix worked for me.  The fix was to properly ground the touchpad.  It seems to me that Acer's method of grounding the touchpad is problematic.

You should not attempt the fix if you do not know how to solder electrical components.  Also the fix will likely void your waranty.  Send your laptop to a service center instead.

• Rikki
    Rikki Member Posts: 4 New User

Maybe there are different issues causing this problem. I don't know. All I can say is that when my touchpad started freezing, it would happen quite frequently, several times in a session. Since I deleted the drivers it hasn't happened once and it has now been about a week. Could be coincidence of course, but it certainly seems to make a difference. In any case, my solution is easy to undo so is maybe worth a try if anyone else is wrestling with this.

I do not live near any Acer repair centre so would have to ship the laptop away to get it looked at by authorised maintenance personnel, which I am very reluctant to do. I am also not prepared to open it up as long as it is still under warranty in case something major goes wrong. I did test for physical connection issues as well as I could by stressing the case in different places and (gently) banging on it but none of this seemed to make any difference. It just doesn't act like a physical connection issue. If the problem occurs again I will try the physical fix once the laptop is out of warranty but I won't mess with it before then. So far my fix is working for me and that is enough.

• Ariopad
    Ariopad Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you everyone for your inputs.

I did the driver change and it worked for a few weeks. I did not try thy the hardware fix (yet).

I think in my case it is a combination of both.

Right klick on the touchpad works sometimes and doesnt work othertimes. I need to press it 4-5 times before i get any reaction (box to open). Very irritating.

I think I try the ground fix during next days and let you know.

BR

• m172981
    m172981 Member Posts: 2 New User

Can you use electrical tape instead of soldering?

• chue
    chue Member Posts: 2 New User

I would not use electrical tape, as it will not give you a solid connection. Soldering is the best way.

• m172981
    m172981 Member Posts: 2 New User

is there any other method other than soldering?

• Warna
    Warna Member Posts: 1 New User
    zlp said:

It's a hardware problem.

My Acer ES1-111M touchpad was freezing constantly too. It was intermittent at best so the laptop was unusable. I sent it to Acer for warranty repair and they just re-installed Windows (and deleted my programs!) Their service is absolutely terrible!

I opened it up and fixed it myself. Now it works perfectly!

I show my steps here:

http://www.zachpoff.com/diy-resources/acer-laptop-touchpad-fix

I know I am necroing this post but you made my day! Thank you for the tip.

I fixed mine a bit differently but it all become the same at the end. I used some speaker cable threads and sticked them under the conductive sticker that was already there. It work just fine now. The small and thin threads are making the perfect connectivity between the pad and the frame. No need for soldering or any physical mods. Just removing the sticker, laying the threads down and putting back the sticker in place over them.