Let's Get Social!

Ask our members for help or assist others.
You are all welcome at Acer Community!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

960 Evo NVMe M.2 SSD not recognized by VN7-792g with 1.09 BIOS

960 Evo NVMe M.2 SSD not recognized by VN7-792g with 1.09 BIOS

SOLVED
Tinkerer

Re: 960 Evo NVMe M.2 SSD not recognized by VN7-792g with 1.09 BIOS

Hi laurent_14,

Can you (or anyone else) confirm if my motherboard supports NVMe SSD drives? I want to get the Samsung SM961 to use as my Windows 10 boot drive, but I need to know if it is compatible with my configuration. I have the VN7-792G-75N1 (NX.G6TEX.026) model.

Your feedback is highly appreciated.

Regards,

George

Tinkerer

Here are some HWiNFO64 screenshots if it's of any help.

SS1.PNGSS3.PNG

Tinkerer

The problem is uefi. The win 10 install must be a uefi install to even see the drive in the bios.

Tinkerer

I was told today by my local Acer service center that my specific motherboard model should be NB.G6T11.006, but that's the only relevant info they could provide. Is there a way to check if this board has an NVMe compatible M.2 slot without disassembling the laptop???

@dezmond I think I installed Windows 10 in UEFI mode from an USB drive I extracted the ISO file to. My problem at this point is figuring out whether the M.2 slot on my motherboard supports the PCIe 3.0 interface, or if it's only SATA III. 

There is one PCI Express 3.0 x4 bus showing up in HWiNFO for my motherboard (second screenshot in my previous post), but I have no idea if this port is related to the (empty) M.2 slot, or to something completely different.

Tinkerer

From your hwinfo screenshot it looks like you should be good to go. I have a v15-591g-50mj and i was able to get a 512gb pm961 and a 500gb 960evo to be recognized. If the bios is in legacy mode it will not see the nvme drive. Its fairly easy to take apart the back cover of the laptop. Just be careful because the wire for the speakers is attached and not very long. It can be unplugged easily after the cover is seperated.

Tinkerer

screenshot.jpg

Tinkerer

Thanks for the tips, dezmond. I think opening the laptop myself would void the warranty, so it would probably be better to take it to the authorized shop near me. Although, seeing how tricky it is to access the M.2 and RAM slots without screwing up or damaging something, I'm scared of letting anyone open it. Smiley Happy My biggest concern though is that I might not be able to return the SM961 if, for some reason, it doesn't work with my configuration. Which is why I want to make sure it's going to work before I spend non-refundable money ordering it

Edit: Hey, that looks sort of like mine! Congratz on making it work. Are you getting full NVMe speeds? Do you have the PM961 installed on another PCIe 3.0 x4 bus? Or did you replace it with the 960evo?

Highlighted
Tinkerer

Using the 960evo right now. The speeds could be better,but this is my os drive to. I am hoping a bios update will increase the speeds some.

as-ssd-bench Samsung SSD 960  3.19.2017 2-57-59 AM.png

Tinkerer

Man, those speeds are caped at half their potential capacity... Are you running the latest 1.09 BIOS?

ACE Pathfinder

George87 wrote:

Man, those speeds are caped at half their potential capacity... Are you running the latest 1.09 BIOS?

Yes, it has been discussed here as well:http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Why-is-the-M2-PCIE-slot-speed-capped-to-1-5GBs-...

New Here?

New to Acer Community?

Register to get all the benefits of being a member! Get social and introduce yourself in our Welcome Forum, or learn about our ACE Program and What's Happening at Acer.

Assistance by Acer
Member Highlight

Would you look at that? Our friend laurent_14 has surpassed one thousand Kudos! Kudos help encourage our members, it's always nice to know someone values your contributions, right? So remember to always give Kudos to members offering help, and mark the post that solves your issue as a Solution.

Total Posts Written: 5,894
Total Kudos Received: 1000
Solutions Accepted: 539

laurent_14
ACE Pathfinder

ACE Pathfinder