S7 Screen Issues

themuffffinman
themuffffinman Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

I have been noticing 2 issues for the past couple months with my s7-391 i7 laptop. First is what appears to be screen ghosting/burn-in where if for example i leave internet explorer open in desktop mode for a while the image ghosts of the screen appears on the desktop then eventually disappears after a few minutes.

The second issue I have it set so after a few minutes of inactivity my screen goes to black. when i resume from this the contrast/brightness is very high and everything on the screen in very white washed out, the screen also returns to normal after about 10 seconds.

These things happening are not normal right? Is this something I should be sending in for warranty?

Many Thanks

Best Answer

• jonstatt
    jonstatt Member Posts: 76 Troubleshooter
    Answer ✓

All normal.

Firstly, the type of screen panel they have used has short term retention. So yes, if you display a bright white window on a grey background for 10 minutes, then move the window, you will see an outline of the original window position for a few minutes and it fades away. It does no harm and it is not faulty. It implies the way they are driving the panel is using overdrive to get more contrast, but the side effect is temporary image retention.

The second issue, is the auto contrast adjustment. This is a BIOS related aspect whereby the screen is automatically changed to optimise the contrast. Once again this is a way of getting the most out of a contrast limited screen. It does so over about 10 seconds, and you can see it doing it step by step if you look closely. I believe this was optimised in later versions of the BIOS, so make sure you have the most recent BIOS installed. The steps were a bit smoother and the change a little less obvious if I recall. Once again though, perfectly normal and not faulty. Just part of the design.

As for the second poster who referred to a ghost 1cm all around the edge of the screen. I did see this sometimes but it fades away after a while. It is also related to the screen retention. Have you tried to display a totally white screen and leave it for 30 minutes like that? It may put everything back to normal. Temperature affects the retention. If the laptop is cold, the retention is worse.

Answers

• dzulfikar
    dzulfikar Member Posts: 1 New User

i have same isue problems with the s7 screen, there is some vertical and horizontal white ghost line (ghost wide line 1cm) and  around 1 cm from edge of screen (top, bottom, right and left edge of screen). I am affraid that the lcd is broken ? I bought this 7 month ago.

• jonstatt
    jonstatt Member Posts: 76 Troubleshooter
    Answer ✓

All normal.

Firstly, the type of screen panel they have used has short term retention. So yes, if you display a bright white window on a grey background for 10 minutes, then move the window, you will see an outline of the original window position for a few minutes and it fades away. It does no harm and it is not faulty. It implies the way they are driving the panel is using overdrive to get more contrast, but the side effect is temporary image retention.

The second issue, is the auto contrast adjustment. This is a BIOS related aspect whereby the screen is automatically changed to optimise the contrast. Once again this is a way of getting the most out of a contrast limited screen. It does so over about 10 seconds, and you can see it doing it step by step if you look closely. I believe this was optimised in later versions of the BIOS, so make sure you have the most recent BIOS installed. The steps were a bit smoother and the change a little less obvious if I recall. Once again though, perfectly normal and not faulty. Just part of the design.

As for the second poster who referred to a ghost 1cm all around the edge of the screen. I did see this sometimes but it fades away after a while. It is also related to the screen retention. Have you tried to display a totally white screen and leave it for 30 minutes like that? It may put everything back to normal. Temperature affects the retention. If the laptop is cold, the retention is worse.

• themuffffinman
    themuffffinman Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.