Leaving charger plugged in

mptburke
mptburke Member Posts: 3 New User

I've heard myths from both sides. Is it bad for the battery if I leave my charger constantly plugged in?

I have an aspire s3 ultrabook.

Best Answer

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Batteries may have a cut off point, but with the charger plugged in, the battery isn't being used.

I can also speak from experience. People who leave their laptops always plugged in have a reduced battery life than those who regularly use the battery.

To be fair batteries are better now than they used to be, but they still need to discharge once in a while.

Answers

• finlux

Hi mptburke

Yes, it doesn't do the battery any good leaving it plugged in all the time. It definitely shortens the life of it.

If you don't plan to use it on battery, then I suppose it makes little difference!

• mptburke

One post I was reading states that computers stop overcharging the laptop automatically. Like a cut-off of sorts. Your posts seems to tell me this is completely untrue.

Is there any applcation or software that I can install so if it is left plugged in for a long period of time, it will automatically cut itself off?

• finlux
    Answer ✓
    Batteries may have a cut off point, but with the charger plugged in, the battery isn't being used.

I can also speak from experience. People who leave their laptops always plugged in have a reduced battery life than those who regularly use the battery.

To be fair batteries are better now than they used to be, but they still need to discharge once in a while.
  • mptburke

I have had previous experience with my old sony laptop and thinking about it, it was when I began leaving it on charge. I don't want it to happen to my new laptop.

Thank you for your comments. I never took into account that batteries need to discharge also.

This discussion has been closed.