Laptop will not restart

eljajkeo22
eljajkeo22 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I have an Acer Aspire V5-572P laptop running windows 8.1.  The other day it was running like normal, but I went to restart and the backlight didnt come on, nor did the acer spash screen, but I could hear the hardrive running and the little blue light was lit that indicates it is powered on.  But thats it.  I tried forcing shutdown by holding down the power button then rebooting, but the same thing.

Now the strange part.  If i let my computer sit for several hours, it boots up like normal.  But if i try to restart, it goes back to the blackscreen mode and I have to wait another several hours before it does anything.  Additionally, I am not sure if its coincidence or not, but today I pressed the power button and nothing was happening, but when I pressed fn+esc, the backlight immediately came on and the boot process started.

What I've done so far after some reading - 

I've updated the Bios after reading about using a flashdrive to flash the Bios to fix black-screen issues on other acer laptops.  That didnt work. when it automatically restarted after updating, it went to blackscreen.

I did a system restore to about a month ago when it was working fine.  I also turned off automatic updates so it woudnt immediately reinstall the updates I un-did with the restore.   That didnt work.  It went to blackscreen after automatically restarting during the process.  Later that day when i got it to boot it said the system restore was successful. but again, it made no difference when I tested it out with a restart.

I tried restarting the battery using the little reset hole on the bottom and a safety pin. That didnt do anything either.

I also made sure the screen was not turned off or in tv mode by pressing fn+f5 and fn+f6 during the time it was in its blackscreen mode.

Any other ideas? or has anybody experience anything similar? 

As things stand, I am just going to not turn off my laptop.

Thanks

Answers

• Ahasus
    Ahasus Member Posts: 23 New User

First you should narrow down the problem. Connect an external monitor to your laptop (VGA, HDMI). If it will work from the startup then it is the laptop display.

• eljajkeo22
    eljajkeo22 Member Posts: 2 New User
    just tried my tv through the hdmi port which is the only option I have as far as alternate displays. Tried to restart - tv only displayed 'no signal' and laptop screen stayed completely blank. Can't try anything til tomorrow now, but more suggestions are welcomed! Still pretty stumped here! Thanks