Gorilla Glass protection at the back of the lid? (S7-391)

rAfitiiixxx
rAfitiiixxx Member Posts: 7 New User

Hi everyone!

This is more a hardware concern and it will help me to take better care of my ultrabook (Acer Aspire S7-391).

1. Is it true that the screen glass is protected with Gorilla Glass 2 technology to protect the touch-screen?
  2.  Is it true that the back of the lid (where the luminous "Acer" logo is) is also protected with Gorilla Glass 2?

I ask these two questions because i think i read it somewhere but i can't remember where, that the touch-screen is protected with gorilla glass 2 but also the back of the lid, so it won't get any scratches.

The thing is that if this isn't true, i need to know it ASAP so i can cover the back of the lid with some special protective and transparent skin and maybe a cover.

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• jonstatt
    jonstatt Member Posts: 76 Troubleshooter
    Answer ✓

On Acer's own site

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/aspires7

"Radically thin, supremely strong, scratch resistant and easy to clean: White Gorilla® Glass 2 makes the beauty of the 13.3" Aspire S7 Series gleam at an ultra-thin 11.9 mm."

Notice the referencce to WHITE Gorilla Glass referring to the otuside. Somewhere else on the site it talks about choosing between white gorilla glass and aluminium (the 11" version) styles.

As for the internal side. It definitely feels and sounds (when you tap it) like glass to me. Whether its gorilla glass or not, it is glass. I wouldn't put a protector on it as unlike a phone, it isn't rubbing against pockets with grit in them or anything like that. It won't scratch with a fingernail etc. Protectors that size are hard to get on without bubbles and may interfere with the clarity of the screen.

Answers

• jonstatt

Funny you ask this because your assumption is the wrong way around.

For sure the outside IS protected with gorilla glass. What has never been confirmed anywhere that I can find, is that the internal glass covering the screen is gorilla glass! I suspect that both sides are gorilla glass, but oddly the only confirmed specifications refer to the outside! Smiley Happy

I would still look after the lid though. Glass scratches with sand and grit, including gorilla glass. So while it may not be like perspex plastic, you still need to be careful just as you would be with a phone display covered with gorilla glass.

• rAfitiiixxx

upss!

Thanks for your response! Smiley Happy

So i would be better of buying a protective film for the screen then, or not, i've to think about that. Can you please post the source where the specs are? because i couldn't find that specific detail.

• jonstatt
    Answer ✓

On Acer's own site

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/aspires7

"Radically thin, supremely strong, scratch resistant and easy to clean: White Gorilla® Glass 2 makes the beauty of the 13.3" Aspire S7 Series gleam at an ultra-thin 11.9 mm."

Notice the referencce to WHITE Gorilla Glass referring to the otuside. Somewhere else on the site it talks about choosing between white gorilla glass and aluminium (the 11" version) styles.

As for the internal side. It definitely feels and sounds (when you tap it) like glass to me. Whether its gorilla glass or not, it is glass. I wouldn't put a protector on it as unlike a phone, it isn't rubbing against pockets with grit in them or anything like that. It won't scratch with a fingernail etc. Protectors that size are hard to get on without bubbles and may interfere with the clarity of the screen.

• rAfitiiixxx

Thank you for the answer! Smiley Very Happy

Now i know how to take care of my ultrabook to avoid scratches and stuff Smiley Happy i guess that with a nice cover to put it into it will be enough!.

This discussion has been closed.