Can't install nVidia drivers on M5-581TG

Can someone help please.
I've just bought a new M5-581TG with Win8 (I could no longer get one with Win7 which is what I need).
I've reformatted the SSD and installed Win7. However, I cannot load nVidia drivers for the GT 730m.
I always get 'no hardware detected'. I also tried running the detection program from nVidia and that says I must
get the driver from the manufacturer. I'm guessing there is a BIOs setting that needs changing but I cannot find
anything (I also don't have the password that allows me to access the secure boot - it shows password as 'FROZEN' I think.
Can someone advise please?

Best Answer

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Answer ✓

Update

As I got zero help, I thought I would post my findings. They may be of use to others.

Windows 7 Ultimate is now installed and working a treat!

The graphics card issue is now resolved. I don't understand why but I had to install the Acer nVidia drivers for Windows 8 despite my downgrading to Windows 7. Still, the driver Acer provides for Windows 7 are very old so it was a bonus that the Windows 8 drivers worked being only a few issues behind (307.17). nVidia site has 314.07 as the latest but they cannot run - I just got a message from nVidia that I have to get drivers from my manufacturer. As it seems to be a while before Acer make them available, I thought I would have a try at making 314.07 compatible. After some effort I succeeded and am now running the latest version without any problems. So, it is worth knowing that it is possible to 'do it yourself' but not for the feint hearted.

The hdd 'Frozen' problem seems to be some sort of glitch but Intel software confirms everything normal and not password protected. On two occasions now, when I have checked the BIOS, it was shown as 'Clear' - today it is 'Frozen'! Go figure. I just need to determine if I can upgrade to a Samsung 840 - not sure if it will physically fit. Finally, I am only now beginning to 'use' the machine (I am a software developer) and play the odd game - excellent frame rates too! So far this M5 looks to be a brilliant machine!

Answers

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Answer ✓

Update

As I got zero help, I thought I would post my findings. They may be of use to others.

Windows 7 Ultimate is now installed and working a treat!

The graphics card issue is now resolved. I don't understand why but I had to install the Acer nVidia drivers for Windows 8 despite my downgrading to Windows 7. Still, the driver Acer provides for Windows 7 are very old so it was a bonus that the Windows 8 drivers worked being only a few issues behind (307.17). nVidia site has 314.07 as the latest but they cannot run - I just got a message from nVidia that I have to get drivers from my manufacturer. As it seems to be a while before Acer make them available, I thought I would have a try at making 314.07 compatible. After some effort I succeeded and am now running the latest version without any problems. So, it is worth knowing that it is possible to 'do it yourself' but not for the feint hearted.

The hdd 'Frozen' problem seems to be some sort of glitch but Intel software confirms everything normal and not password protected. On two occasions now, when I have checked the BIOS, it was shown as 'Clear' - today it is 'Frozen'! Go figure. I just need to determine if I can upgrade to a Samsung 840 - not sure if it will physically fit. Finally, I am only now beginning to 'use' the machine (I am a software developer) and play the odd game - excellent frame rates too! So far this M5 looks to be a brilliant machine!

This discussion has been closed.