Broken touch screen- aspire v7-482pg-5642

benrobinette
benrobinette Member Posts: 2 New User

My son saved his money for two years to buy his own laptop and bought an aspire v7 touchscreen in December.  Yesterday when he got home from school he pulled it out of his (top of the line) laptop backpack to discover the screen was broken badly down the right hand side.  So now I'm trying to figure out what our options are.  My first thought was to see what it would cost to have it repaired by Acer so we dont jeapordize the warranty but the contact support links seem to be designed to book it for service rather than providing any information.  I've replaced screens on previous laptops so I'm not opposed to replacing the screen myself but I'm not sure what to order, where or how the touchscreen complicates things.  Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Ben

Answers

• boscorelly
    boscorelly Member Posts: 30

Tinkerer

Hi,

from my experience, contact Acer directly.

For my M5-581TG, just the screen can be found for more than 250 euros. Acer sold me the complete top frame including the screen for... 262 euros.

• benrobinette
    benrobinette Member Posts: 2 New User

I found Acer support chat and they told me it will be roughly $350 to have them replace the screen.  That seems excessive for a low quality screen on a laptop that only cost $650 new.  They also directed me to a few parts suppliers who appear to be more expensive than ebay, amazon and most of the online companies I've found.   But researching my options has also raised some new questions.  I've found a wide variety of screens available, some of the claim to be just the screen, some claim to be just the digitizer and some claim to be both.  Our screen has broken glass down the right hand side and a black "blob" across the bottom that no longer seems to function.  But the touch functionality seems to work even where the screen does not.  Would the glass be considered the screen, the digitizer or a separate part.  I've seen conflicting responses on separating the glass and the digitizer, does anyone know if it can/should be done?  Can the screen be replaced without the digitizer and just forgo the touch functionality?  What about upgrading, I've seen higher quality screens with comparable prices but again I've seen conflicting answers on if that would require different cables and/or different other upgrades.  Would someone who knows more about this model please be kind enough to help educate me?  Thanks in advance for your help. 

-Ben

• boscorelly
    boscorelly Member Posts: 30

Tinkerer

If your screen is thinner than the normal screens, you will not have a lot of choices...

As the screen is broken, you can disassemble the top frame to have the exact model number and search on internet.