Aspire S7 - 391 Bluetooth Issue - Acer Bluetooth Mouse cannot be detected

wong2047
wong2047 Member Posts: 14 New User

After certain recent Windows updates,  Charm Bar > Network (Airplane mode OFF) > at Wifi Off condition, I cannot turn on Wifi again. The Wifi on/off bar did not respond to my click.  Acer bluetooth mouse then did not work or could not be detected.  The bluetooth mouse led kept blinking.  Wifi disconnected. I was forced to roll back Windows system. After that, though wifi connection works, the bluetooth mouse cannot be detected by S7.  At Control Penal > Program Features, I cannot uninstall "Qualcomm Atheros WLAN and Bluetooth Client Installation Program".

I felt frustrated with both the wifi and bluetooth issues of S7 and get tired to find ways out for the system. 

I now use a wired mouse until future Windows updates or wifi/bluetooth combo driver can improve the stability of the system.

I WILL NOT DO ANY WINDOWS UPDATE OR UPDATE DEVICE DRIVERS UNTIL 2013 IN ORDER TO GET A PEACEFUL X'MAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Answers

• freeza
    freeza Member Posts: 1,316 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Good day

Download and install the latest bluetooth driver from: http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=4533

Regards,

Freeza

• wong2047
    wong2047 Member Posts: 14 New User

Hi freeza,

I have tried to install the latest standalone bluetooth driver Version 8.0.0000.0206.  I was told that I have had driver later than that and the installation was being stopped.  I think I had installed the latest combo driver Version 10.0.0.217. 

• JudiG
    JudiG Member Posts: 3 New User

I _did_ update to latest bluetooth driver from http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=4533 

However, my mouse still stops randomly after a while.  Turning it on/off doesn't seem to help reactivate it either.  I have to sleep Windows and re-awaken to get my mouse back.  How can I get this fixed?

• JudiG
    JudiG Member Posts: 3 New User

Update from my experiences:

- loading Bluetooth driver v8.0.0000.0206 from 10/16/2012 is waste of time.  It doesn't seem to help mouse disconnect att all and may have even made issue worse

- loading Wireless Lan drivers (new) v10.0.0.217.v3 from 12/28/2012 includes later Bluetooth update.  It would be nice if this was clearly described.  I had to "install" this 2 times.  After 1st "install" mouse was completely dead.  Re-runninng install, and using Repair mode finally got mouse working although this repair lasted more than 5 (scary) minnutes.  After 1 day of fairly heavy system usage, my mouse seems better.

The support from Acer is disappointing.  I will recommend to folks that they NOT purchase Acer systems due to poor support.  The Bluetooth driver v8.0.0000.0206 from 10/16/2012 should not be posted.  The Wireless Lan drivers (new) v10.0.0.217.v3 from 12/28/2012 shoudl be clearly marked as for LAN _and_ Bluetooth.  The download site is pig slow.  And support apparently doesn't respond or try to help.

• sspak9
    sspak9 Member Posts: 19 New User

My "fix" for airplane mode disabling wi-fi was to do a fresh install of Windows 8.  However, that "killed" getting acer bluetooth mouse to work properly.  I know bluetooth is working because I can pair bluetooth phone to s7-391, but I just can't pair the mouse.

I definitely would not recommend others to buy acer unless they are willing to mess with the system.  It's really not for your general user base.  Some of home fixes I've seen in this forum include:

- open up the back to fix noisy mouse pad

- update BIOS and driver

- possibly re-install OS

I bought s7-391 for my daughter who liked the form-factor, but I definitely would not recommend to others until a lot of these bugs are fixed. 

• franilehr
    franilehr Member Posts: 1 New User

any solutions?  My Bluetooth mouse isn't working.

• Isle
    Isle Member Posts: 2 New User

Here was my solution to no bluetooth:  first, I have an Acer Aspire S7-391 with Windows 8 pre-loaded. I have not decided whether to keep it yet (I don't love Win8 yet, but this is an Acer problem -- not Win8). This is long but may help others (since it seems to be a common problem).   Short version is that you may have to take some steps on your own, with no help from Acer update manager or Windows 8. 

Out of the box I got the S7 set up quickly, including W-Fi. sweet.  The Acer update manager came up and listed two updates, and I figured it was good to grab those, since who knows when the computer was actually built, etc.  Very slow download for two items:  Intel HD Graphics Driver; and Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth Suite (64) 8.0.0.222, including Qualcomm Atheros WiFi driver installation 11.43.   Fine, done, I figure they're installed.

Moving on to my Acer Bluetooth mouse now, which came in the box with the S7 (was only using touchscreen and keypad up to this point), I see nothing in instrux about how to connect the mouse.  I search the web and find a post on the Acer website, which is when I realize Bluetooth is not working --  I can't toggle Bluetooth on like the instructions said.  I go to Acer site, Qualcomm site, etc., for a solution; I find lots of questions but no definitive answers.   Ultimately, after system restore back to the out of the box point (dumping the two downloads, since I don't know if that's what killed the Bluetooth or whether it never was working), then another restore to get the downloads back because the first restore didn't fix bluetooth, ULTIMATELY I realized the INSTALLER didn't automatically install.  Now, it's called WiFi installation, and I didn't want to touch it because my WiFi was working fine, just not the Bluetooth.   But on the Qualcomm site I saw that it's a suite, and I took a chance on running the installer, since nothing else had worked.  And that finally did fix the Bluetooth. 

After downloading the Qualcomm items as above, here's what I had to do:

on my Acer S7 go to SETTINGS > Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall
    you'll see the list of all your programs
    scroll down to the Qualcomm Atheros WiFi driver installation and select it (you are NOT uninstalling it, in spite of the fact that you're in the "uninstall" window...your options are to change, repair or uninstall)
    once you click that installation item in the list, select change/install, and follow the install Wizard instructions
    RESTART YOUR COMPUTER!!  (this was the magic last step, and nowhere did the installer say to do this!)

Ok, good luck, I hope this helps you. 

• ABTsportsline
    ABTsportsline Member Posts: 2 New User

That was dangerous advice. I did that and it removed the Wifi drivers completely. Upon reboot, I had no wifi anymore and the Acer did NOT roll back automatically to an old driver. I just lost bluetooth and wifi.

I had to go back to an old restore point, but I would not recommend doing the above suggestion.

My bluetooth slider is still grayed out. Can't figure out what the deal is.

• Pyr0technicien
    Pyr0technicien Member Posts: 16 New User

If you update your bios it will probably work again, but i deletes muy driver after that update and my bluetooth was greyed again ...

Now even with bios update i can't make it work, any help ?

• JimWalton7
    JimWalton7 Member Posts: 1 New User

The problem is not with Microsoft or Windows, the problem is with Acer.

I fought the issue with my first mouse, went out and bought a more expensive mouse and had the same problem. I got real good at uninstalling the mouse and bluetooth and reinstalling everything, but it still would just die in the middle of doing something and refuse to work.

Finally, I disabled the built-in bluetooth under Device Manager, plugged in a USB bluetooth dongle, and my mouse has been running flawlessly since.

There is a definite hardware problem with the Acer implimentation of bluetooth. I suspect the Acer bluetooth radio is just too weak to maintain a mouse device which is receive only. It does not transmit a signal to the computer, merely responds to the computer. Acer just can't handle that.

I think Acer needs to re-engineer their bluetooth, do a massive recall, and replace every one out there with one that works.

• tendajuragan
    tendajuragan Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello All,

I have a same problem yesterday, after a few hours i got an idea after looking at System Properties -> Device Manager.

There is only 3 items on my Bluetooth list. I feel it must be wrong, so i try a little trick as below :

1. Download a bluetooth driver located in Acer site

2. Extract a driver (zip)

3. Go To My Computer ->Properties->Device Manager

4. Locate a Bluetooth Driver

5. Right Click a "Generic Bluetooh" and choose to update a driver

6. Located a driver at a folder that already extracted , go to bluetooth driver only Folder

7. Next to update a driver.

8. Ta da... got it a driver already updated. Try to find your bluetooth mouse. and..Gotcha . Acer Bluetooth Mouse is detected (dont forget to push a grey button on mouse, located inside a battery cover until a mouse lamp blinking to red and blue)

9. Finished.. enjoy your day.

Regards

• Jeremylee
    Jeremylee Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello Guys,

I have been studying this problem for a number of days already and have been sieving through blogs, TIDs, support sites and chipset sites everywhere.

I bought a S7-391 2 months ago and had the same BT andsometimes WIFI problems. This got worse when I upgraded my Win8 Pro to the 8.1 Preview 2 days ago.

The BT chip just went dead. Many tries to install the latest drivers were in vain. After a much painful process of understanding the way 8.1 handles its drivers, the problem was finally resolved and it has been pretty stable since. I believe this applies to 8.0 also.

So... here goes the instructions.

download following from ACER sypport site:

Qualcomm Atheros WLAN and Bluetooth Client Installation Program V11.43 in a zip file (232mb).

The zip file will  have the following drivers packed inside:

The BT Driver version is 8.0.0.22

The WLAN Driver version is 10.0.0.234

**IMPORTANT NOTE:

Ifyou have any previous versions of any Qualcomm program, pls uninstall them. They may post problems for the steps below. (Let me know if you encounter any issues.... I can assist on this)

Step 1:

Go to windows registry editor by typing regedit at the start>run> option

Locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion

Select CurrentVersion on the right column and change the value from 6.3 to 6.2.

Step 2:

Install the Qualcomm Atheros WLAN and Bluetooth Client Installation Program V11.43.

click on the setup.exe after unzipping the whole package to a folder.

When installation is done, reboot the S7.

Step 3:

Try searching and pairing your BT Mouse now. It shld work now!

Step 4: FINAL

Return to the Registry editor and change value back to 6.3.

In most cases, it would have changed back on its own. Nevertheless, just check to be safe.

GOOD LUCK!!!

• Jeremylee
    Jeremylee Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello Guys,

I have been studying this problem for a number of days already and have been sieving through blogs, TIDs, support sites and chipset sites everywhere.

I bought a S7-391 2 months ago and had the same BT andsometimes WIFI problems. This got worse when I upgraded my Win8 Pro to the 8.1 Preview 2 days ago.

The BT chip just went dead. Many tries to install the latest drivers were in vain. After a much painful process of understanding the way 8.1 handles its drivers, the problem was finally resolved and it has been pretty stable since. I believe this applies to 8.0 also.

Qualcomm Atheros WLAN and Bluetooth Client Installation Program V11.43 in a zip file (232mb).

**IMPORTANT NOTE:

Ifyou have any previous versions of any Qualcomm program, pls uninstall them. They may post problems for the steps below. (Let me know if you encounter any issues.... I can assist on this)

Step 1:

Step 2:

Install the Qualcomm Atheros WLAN and Bluetooth Client Installation Program V11.43.

Step 3:

In most cases, it would have changed back on its own. Nevertheless, just check to be safe.

GOOD LUCK!!!

• s7_ultraabook
    s7_ultraabook Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello Jeremylee,

It's nice to know you with a better solution.

My S7-391-9492 UltraBook also developed this kind of problem. I read your solution is best BUT can you PLEASE give us the Acer link to download Qualcomm Atheros WLAN and Bluetooth Client Installation Program V11.43 in a zip file (232mb)?

My advance THANKS and Regards!! Woman Very Happy

-Myrna

• s7_ultraabook
    s7_ultraabook Member Posts: 4 New User

For those fellow who find difficulty locating Acer download link:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Fill-up and input your Acer model and choose the require updates.

FYI I chose ALL because my Ulrabook is one year old and the seller

nor Acer do the required updates of new drivers.

You needs to press Ctrl + F5 to refresh IF the link not loading completely well.

Good luck & All The Best!

• kimt08
    kimt08 Member Posts: 1 New User

IT WORKS!!! Thanks so much man!! Smiley Very Happy

• Australia-100
    Australia-100 Member Posts: 5 New User

Jeremylee wrote:

Hello Guys,

**IMPORTANT NOTE:

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

GOOD LUCK!!!

Does this also work for the Aspire V5 laptops???

This discussion has been closed.