Aspire S5-391 & Win 8.1--upgrade firmware

greggpavitt
greggpavitt Member Posts: 4 New User

I upgraded my Aspire S5-391 to Win 8.1. I originally had Win 7, then upgraded to Win 8.0 no problem. Now, having upgraded to Win 8.1 I am getting an error message (blue screen). Searching online, I found a post that said some solid state drives had trouble with Win 8, and I should get an updated firmware. Acer does not seem to have posted one under the downloads section. With the Intel tool, I was able to find that the drive was a LITEON SSD (a mini mSATA). I found the drive mentioned, but they did not have drivers (they mainly sell OEM). Can Acer post a firmware upgrade for this?

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Hi greggpavitt!

I believe the firmware is the responsibility of the manufacturer (in this case Liteon) & not Acer.

Have you tried Litron's support site to see if they have upgraded the firmware for your drive?
  • Dunkx
    Dunkx Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Liteon does not provide firmware as the liteon ssd drives are oem purchased. Interesting to note both Dell and Lenovo have packaged firmware updates for the liteon drives.

As the drives are OEM specific the files from either Dell or Lenovo will not run on the Acer.

Pester Acer support with the knowledge that other manufacturers are actually supporting their customers!!!

This discussion has been closed.