Ultra-Thin

Topic

liayoungmoon

Re: Acer Aspire V5 Touch Windows 8 Wifi Issue

I have an Acer Aspire V5-471G and on atheros driver version 10.0.0.209 and I'm having the same wifi problem which drops every 30mins and gradually gets worse. I just bought this 2 weeks ago and thought the wifi problem was due to bad internet signal. Later on, I realized all my other wifi devices like my lenovo ideapad s10, iphone 4s, and samsung galaxy grand we're working properly with stable wifi connection all at the same time. I read somewhere that its a possible incompatibility with both blueetooth on and wifi on. I turned the bluetooth off but didn't fix it entirely. It did help from dropping every minute to 30mins instead.

I downloaded the driver 10.0.0.217.v3 but haven't installed it yet. As I read through the forum http://community.acer.com/t5/Acer-Ultrabooks/Aspire-S7-391-Wifi-problems/td-p/7575/highlight/false , it seems that driver update isn't a good idea. I'm not sure if it's only for the S7 series. There's a new driver I see in the acer download page for my laptop model http://www.acer.com.ph/ac/en/PH/content/drivers but I'm not so sure if I should update it to that version instead which is 10.0.0.225. It's a march 18, 2013 update. Anyone can give me insight on this? Would really appreciate it. :smileyvery-happy:

P.S. I've already done the power settings too. All are in maximum performance both plugged in or on battery. My wifi problem persists and I'm always using plugged in or with power. I'm not sure about the black and white cable of the 2 antennas as I'm not capable of disassembling my laptop. So I'm banking on a very good driver update. please let me know whats best for my laptop version. Thanks!

Contributing Member
JYNg

I've downloaded and installed the latest WLAN driver (10.0.0.221) and so far it's been working perfectly. No random dropping of WiFi for the past 2 days.

liayoungmoon

Where did you get that driver? its not on the acer download site. for which acer laptop model is that?

Contributing Member
JYNg

Correction: It's version 10.0.0.225, not 10.0.0.221. You can search for it according to your model under the "Support > Download Drivers" section.

Visitor
golferdude

I downloaded the 225 version about a week ago and it worked good one night but now it is doing the sparadic limited connection again.  Hopefully another driver will be coming soon.  This is a major screw up and is getting worse all the time.  Hopefully they will get it resolved prior to people starting to file lawsuits...get this fixed and the note books seems to be a great value.

I have the V5-571P.  I have all the power settings to the max, plugged in, etc.  From what I have read, nothing else I can do but wait for Acer to come out with another driver.  Hurry up...

Visitor
kaypea92

Any updates? I have just bought myself a new laptop for university : Acer Aspire V5-571PG - Date of purchase 17/3/13

Have thought for weeks that this issue was due to my service provider.. but all other devices in my home are working and there are no issues with our modem. I am outraged that the shop allowed me to buy this .. and that ACER are still supplying the product if they knew that it had internet connection issues as it is essential for my studies!I am a full time 20yo student working casually and I paid $1500 AUS for what quite frankly has been a huge pain !! I will be checking the forums for resolutions .. otherwise I will be returning the product and putting in a formal complaint as I feel truly mislead as a customer.

Established Member
daveydave7

You may be able to get the item swapped but i doubt that the shop was actually aware of the issue and as  aresult can't really be accused of misleading you.  It's an odd one as it doesn't affect ALL of these machines o ut there and i have  atheory that it is affecting those where there are neighbouring networks. if you have  a wireless N  router and it's set to the maximum 300 MBPS setting it may be worth changing it to the 150 MBPS setting, ( sometimes labelled as "network friendly"

In theory what happens then is that if you look at the network adapter settings that's Right click on your network icon on taskbar then left click on open network and sharing centre then left click on change adapter settings right click on your wifi adapter then left click on status you should find it has dropped to maybe 72mbps as against the 150 mbps or higher it was before.

This may all sound alien to some of you buit those who know what i am on about will get it and they may be able to explain it better. it seems to affect the atheros wireless lan module that is fitted to MANY LAPTOPS not just to acer ones. reason i know this is because have encountered an exact same problem with another laptop on a certain network, It may be thet the atheros adapter is just "not that good" at filtering connections to its desired wireless router on some settings. When the internal wireless module was swapped for an intel based one the problems dissaspeared that is why i think it is an issue with that partiular brand and model chipset of wireless card fitted in machines working where there is "overlap" on wireless networks

There are some utility tools you can download to check for neighbouring networks one is called SSD insider or similar that may reveal how "busy" your area is

Regular Visitor
balajik7

[ Edited ]

hi

r u sure about it becoz i bought Acer aspire V5 571p and i installed latest wifi driver still i got wifi dropped into limited for every 10 minutes and then i swapped my laptop in store but still the new one got the same problem. i dont know how to fix it. any valuable suggestions are welcome.

liayoungmoon

[ Edited ]

You can see I posted the same problem a few replies above. I was confused which to download, the .217 or the .225 update. I chose to update it to the .225 one today. So far it hasn't dropped yet for almost 12hrs now that I'm online non-stop. When I downloaded the setup it asked me to update, modify, or remove previous driver. I just clicked removed. After it was removed, I ran the setup again, and it installed without a problem. I hope it won't revert back to the dropping. I will reply to this thread if it does. If i don't reply then it means I'm not having any problems anymore. I still fear though that if I turn my bluetooth on it might come back. I just wont turn on bluetooth ever again then. hahaha. Hope this helps! :smileyvery-happy:

Regular Visitor
balajik7

hi thank u for ur post. i did the same thing what u advised i got fixed problem. its been 3 days there was no problem found like before. Thank u once again

Welcome, Guest

Not A Member?   Register
Help
Language:
Member Highlight

Please take a moment to review the latest Community News article to learn about new changes to your community membership.

Did you know?

Acer Community is also available in the following languages: