Acer Aspire S3 set to RAID - can't access BIOS anymore!

Znap
Znap Member Posts: 6 New User

Hi guys, 

I have Linux Mint installed on the SSD of my Aspire S3 (it came with Windows8). 

Last week, all of a sudden my home/Znap couldn't be mounted and Mint stopped working. In the beginning, I tried changing the boot order, but I realised that my SSD wasn't even visible in BIOS (how strange is that?), which is where my OS runs from. The next morning, I saw an error message related to RAID, and I decided to try setting it to RAID in BIOS. Big mistake. After that I couldn't even access BIOS anymore to reset it to its previous settings.

Right now, when I turn on my laptop (Acer Aspire S3, if that matters), it very briefly flashes the opening image (with 'Hit F2 for BIOS and F12 for Boot Settings') but I can't access it. Within a few seconds, it just shows a blinking cursor in the top left of the screen.

So, my first question is as follows: how do I regain access to BIOS? After that, we'll see what I can do to try and get my SSD back. 

Any help is greatly appreciated! I really don't know what to do next...

Answers

• Znap

OK, wait, so when I hold F2 down and let it go when it starts beeping, I do get the chance to access some menu (Intel Rapid Storage Technology - Option Rom). Weirdly enough, it recognizes both disks here: my 500 GB HDD and my 20GB SSD. Both are seen as Non-RAID Disks.

I then get six options:

1 Create RAID volume
    2 Delete RAID volume
    3 Reset Disks to Non-RAID
    4 Recovery Volume Options
    5 Acceleration Options
    6 Exit

Unfortunately, none of these options work. I can create a RAID volume, but can't delete or reset one, as there apparently are no RAID disks.

Still at a loss.

• Znap

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might cause the problem or on how I can at least enter BIOS again?

• Znap

Well, apparently not. The BIOS problem was really weird, in the end I had to send it back to Acer under the warranty, as it appears my HDD is broken or corrupted. Either that, or it's the SSD, but that one appears to function, even though BIOS can only recognize my HDD and not the SSD. Anyway... just in case somebody else encounters similar problems.

This discussion has been closed.