ASPIRE M5-481PT Wireless just DOES NOT WORK. Updated everything, I want to return this thing.

takudlee
takudlee Member Posts: 7 New User

After updating all drivers and jumping through numerous hoops, the wireless KEEPS CUTTING OUT. Looking for another solution before I try my best to get a refund on this thing! Any help appreciated...

Answers

• Drahnoel
    Drahnoel Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the same Problem sometimes the WiFi controller just turns off and doesn´t work anymore. I was searching five times to solve this problem  changeing drivers is useless. No support from Acers till now, a friends of mine having the same problem. We have a M5 Ultrabook How is it to solve? Sick having this problem. Before i want to sent it back it always starts to work again. But i need a reliable Ultrabook and I don´t want to change ut what shall i do, if it doesn´t work?

• takudlee

I'd rather get it fixed myself actually. Let's hope Acer throws us a bone

• takudlee

Any luck on your end? 

• msh7
    msh7 Member Posts: 1 New User

installing the older version of wireless adapter driver worked for me.... bt has another issue - the wireless connection shows limited and i need to disconnect and reconnect to make it working...

• jivy26
    jivy26 Member Posts: 1 New User

My speeds on speedtest.net are still terrible, but I have improved browsing speeds a bit.

- Disabled bluetooth. Goto Windows Start screen type in bluetooth select settings then Turn Wireless Communications On or Off. Then select Bluetooth off.

- Updated to most recent WiFi drivers and also updated bios to most recent which is from March.

I dont know if it is a placebo affect, but speeds have increased noticeably during browsing.

• nelsonwantsafix
    nelsonwantsafix Member Posts: 6 New User

Any chance this is a hardware, not software issue?  I'm on my 2nd M5 in a few weeks and I can't get further than 12ft from the router and keep a connection.  At 20ft it disconnects infrequently enough to let Netflix's buffering cover the downtime.    30ft and beyond is hopeless.  I really don't want to keep playing the return game.  Acer, what is going on????  Everything else about this machine seems great.  Help a customer out?

• takudlee

It's possible. Although Secondipity, the retailer I bought it from won't honor their 90 day parts warranty, and Acer won't answer my inquiries. New Wifi driver update DOES NOT work for me! I feel the same, "help a customer out." I am stuck with a wifi connection that cuts out several times per hour. 

• takudlee

I tried older drivers as well, but none of them work. Also, the newest bluetooth driver now prevents me from accessing my bluetooth device (a samsung stereo) from a desktop interface. Had to roll it back so I could easily connect and disconnect from bluetooth device. Otherwise, I'm sure you've all experience the frustration. 

• takudlee

Was your problem slow speeds, or constant cutting out of signal? Most recent drivers didn't help me, infact the newest BT driver nixes accessibility to the BT device through desktop. 

• nelsonwantsafix

Dropping signal was the main issue.  Lack of range and/or dropping more frequently as it got further from the access point as well.

BIOS and Drivers didn't help.

Buddy of mind pulled an old "g" router in and swapped that out for our newer "g" and "n" type (clearly this all french to me). I thought this was the silver bullet but I'm still dropping occasionally.  HA! just dropped right there--I take it all back.

• takudlee

I was wondering if a different wireless router might work too, but my computer does the same thing everywhere. I wonder what it will take to get a reasonable solution to the problem? This is pretty much a non-functional computer in the sense that I lose internet connection multiple times an hour, sometimes in rapid succession. Anyway, at least glad to hear I'm not the only one who can't resolve this issue with updates. 

• nelsonwantsafix

Noticed last night that numerous Acer machines have the same problem.  The common denominator seems to be the Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 wireless card.  Anybody know a good replacement? 

• nelsonwantsafix

Not necessarily a "fix" but the following seems to lessen the length and frequency of the drops....

In Device Mangager, select Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 wireless network adapter.  Select "Advanced" tab.  

I set "Roaming Policy" to "Very Low" which means it will seach for a stronger signal less frequently.  

I set "Scan Valid Interval" to the highest it would go after reading the following advice from another forum: "The higher the value, the less time the client spends scanning for a better access point and the more time it has to send data."

I have no idea if this will work at a hotspot but at home where I would sometimes show a stronger signal from my neighbor's house than mine (depending on where in the house I went), this seems to do the trick.

I should mention too that at least since setting up the "g" router, I wasn't totally disconnecting--I was getting the yellow exclamation point indicating my connectivity was only local--not internet.

Hope this helps.  Keeping fingers crossed that Acer will tidy this up.

Edit: for good measure I took some advice on other forums and disabled bluetooth.  I know this isn't desirable for you and your stereo but I'm willing to fogoe bluetooth if it means I have the internet when I want it.  

• nelsonwantsafix

Nope.  Nothing worked.  Can't maintain a stream.  Can't keep a buffer on YouTube or Netflix.  Doesn't bug me much if I'm just loading webpages but anything that requires consistancy is hopeless.  

Acer, please support your product.

• Pyr0technicien
    Pyr0technicien Member Posts: 16 New User

I think it's starting on mine too Smiley Sad
    But are you sure BT is'nt in conflict with the wirelesss ? Since my BT is disable ( actually i can't turn it on anymore ), I don't have those problem anymore !

• fritzphoto
    fritzphoto Member Posts: 7 New User

Hey Acer, how about if you chime in and solve this problem that we're all having????

This discussion has been closed.