Travelmate P238-M: repair manual or HD swap instructions?

rphair
rphair Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I am trying to swap the native hard drive for an SSD and cannot see how to remove the disk, even after possibility removing every other component in the vicinity of the drive bay.  I have the cover off but the drive screws appear concealed behind a fan & other components I've never seen before.

This is a job for the Repair Manual but there is no PDF I can see on Acer's site but the User Guide which doesn't even say how to remove the back cover (I have done this already).  This community page suggests that there is no repair manual available: http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-y-Netbooks/Cambio-de-SSD-en-Travelmate-P238/td-p/461006

How can we proceed?  If no repair manual exists, can an Acer representative at least send us photos & instructions about the exact steps to replace the hard drive at no risk to this new laptop?

Best Answer

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hello,

First you have to disconnect and remove the battery pack. Once done, follow this procedure:

Spoiler
    1. Disconnect the HDD cable
    2. Remove the screw securing the HDD module to the upper case assembly
    3. Detach the HDD module from the upper case assembly
    4. Remove the two screws securing the HDD bracket to the HDD module.
    LT-TMP238-M-HDD

PS: I'm not an Acer employee but only an user like you.

France

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hello,

First you have to disconnect and remove the battery pack. Once done, follow this procedure:

Spoiler
    1. Disconnect the HDD cable
    2. Remove the screw securing the HDD module to the upper case assembly
    3. Detach the HDD module from the upper case assembly
    4. Remove the two screws securing the HDD bracket to the HDD module.
    LT-TMP238-M-HDD

PS: I'm not an Acer employee but only an user like you.

France
  • rphair
    rphair Member Posts: 2 New User

thanks @laurent_14 ... that's what we eventually did after a bit more trial and error (having failed to realise that the metal brace for the drive module was held in place by two "snaps" besides that single screw) ... only we didn't have to remove the battery pack.