Acer Travelmate P236 - Do I need a new motherboard?

Riaan26
Riaan26 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hallo,

I have an Acer Travelmate P236, 4G ram, i3 intelcore, windows 7 64-bit. It is 8 months old.

I had a power issue with the laptop - the machine would power up, then die after a few seconds.

I made the unbelievably stupid mistake of opening the laptop and try to fix it myself while it was under guarantee. I tried advice which i found on many forums saying I should "hold down the power key with the battery and power cable out". It seemed like a quick fix.

I accidentally dropped the laptop and two of the plastic encasers (or whatever you call them) that was connecting the motherboard with two cables to another part of the laptop broke off. I was fortunate that nothing else broke off. (please see attached pictures) 

I phoned Acer and from what they can discern from my discription over the phone, they say I need a new motherboard. Still, I would like another opinion from someone having seen the pictures.

My question is, do I need a new motherboard, or can this be solved with a simple repair? The power issue still isn't fixed. It powers up for a few seconds, then dies.

(for the pictures, I only removed the battery for a better view)

Thank you in advance.

20170428_150818.jpg20170428_150715.jpg20170428_150748.jpg20170428_150752.jpg

20170428_151722.jpg

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

at this point i suggest you to take your laptop to a computer shop and ask if they can fix it.

with proper tools and parts, they can solder new connectors, instead of swaping the whole motherboard.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly

have you looked around your floor about the 2 plastic pieces?

if you are not able to find them, i would try this:

plug the cables back and with some electrical tape hold them in place as tight as you can, then close everything and check if it's working.

• Riaan26

IronFly wrote:

have you looked around your floor about the 2 plastic pieces?

if you are not able to find them, i would try this:

plug the cables back and with some electrical tape hold them in place as tight as you can, then close everything and check if it's working.

Yes I have looked, I found one.

The plastic casings are of the type that "grab and hold" the cable, if I can explain it that way. I can't insert the cables without the top parts. I'm afraid I would just mess it up further if I tried to glue it. My hands are clumsy! Smiley Sad

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

at this point i suggest you to take your laptop to a computer shop and ask if they can fix it.

with proper tools and parts, they can solder new connectors, instead of swaping the whole motherboard.

• Riaan26

IronFly wrote:

at this point i suggest you to take our laptop to a computer shop and ask if they can fix it.

Thank you, IronFly.