W510 and Windows 8.1 Consumer Preview

Liliha
Liliha Member Posts: 7 New User

Just installed the cpnsumer preview of Windows 8.1 on the W510 and all seems to be working perfectly.

Thought I would post this in case anyone else is thinking of trying this on their W510 !

Answers

• atanas
    atanas Member Posts: 4 New User

Confirmed. The upgrade process through Windows Store went smoothly and everything is working as expected.

• guidin360
    guidin360 Member Posts: 2 New User

Installed 8.1 too, winsxs folder decreased it's size for around 6gb! so 6gb of free space after installation..

• TakyBB
    TakyBB Member Posts: 9 New User

I open up Windwos Store on my W510 but didn't see it. Try search too but no luck. Where you guys find the install option in Wndows Store? Thanks

• Localhorst86
    Localhorst86 Member Posts: 4 New User

Hey, I installed the preview on my acer w510 as well. Everything works fine except for one issue:

When I put the tablet into airplane mode and wait for it to go to energy saving mode, I can not wake it up anymore.

Anyone else got the same issue?

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Installed from DVD so no Store involvement. Fish stays on the otherwise blank screen for a very long time (10 minutes ?) before screen changes.

Is taking about 11.4 GB of disk space but may be because it carries very few apps (need to figure how to remove from new W3, is loaded down with many many third party apps plus a reported 3 GBof Office.

Have turned off Fast Startup and tied the command prompt to the tray but RUN is now in the left-Start selection so no longer needed.

• Liliha

For whoever wants to update through Windows Store, Use this link to download small update, then go to Windows Store

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview-download

• padgett

Interesting that there is a disclaimer that some 32 bit Tablets are not supported but Acer is not mentioned, just another sign of the special Acer-Microsoft-Intel relationsip.

• Liliha

padgett wrote:

Interesting that there is a disclaimer that some 32 bit Tablets are not supported but Acer is not mentioned, just another sign of the special Acer-Microsoft-Intel relationsip.

Agreed ! Because the w510 was not specifically mentioned, i decided to try it out. Seems every other clover atom based tablet on the market is unsupported currently.

• TakyBB

Got mine installed on W510. I couldnt get PDANet to connect as blue tooth. has to roll back to win 8 and do again. its a bit tricky but im able to get it to work now.

so far like it.the OS and all the metro app is still very primitive. like to flexibility to have miltiple windows in various size. like the numeric keys on top row on soft keyboard.

at login screen, there is one key looks like a sun, i have mo idea what that is.

web page looks wider i have to switch to 150% to see clearly on facebook. but then there is a horzintal scroll bar now. even on this forum page, there is a horizontal scroll bar.

• TakyBB

Cant find the Windows 7 file Backup and Restore anymore.  Hope MS will bring it back in the final release.

• Localhorst86
    So, You all have no issues, I am the only one who can't wake up the device if its in airplane mode and went to energy saving mode?

Any ideas what I can try to fix it?
  • TakyBB

i just tried turn on Airplane mode. hit power button. Then come back, turn off airplane mode. No problem.

• Localhorst86

No, its not when I hit the power button. Ot happens when the device hoes to energy saving mode on its own for a while.

EDIT: It's not actually when the device goes to sleep, it's when I close the device in the dock.

EDIT2: jup. When you shut the lid, it wont wake up. It does not matter if airplane mode is off or on.

I will keep observing this, I will now let the device sleep for a while but keep the lid open. See what it does...

• atanas

Localhorst86 - install the latest driver pack and check if the issue still exist.

• Localhorst86

unfortunately, i can not install thos update due to this elaborate error message:

EDIT: Nevermind. I went into the folder "MI" and ran the setup.exe there. That seemed to have worked. It also, so far, has not yet "slept to death" when I close the lid, but I will observe this further.

• atanas

Also, be careful for the Intel Graphics Driver optional update that is coming from Windows Update. Do not install it or you'll face the same problem again. However, if you accidently do it, you can anytime rollback from the Device Manager. The proper driver version is 9.14.3.1102, provided by Acer in the latest Driver Package v2.12.

Happy previewing Smiley Happy

• romdafrog
    romdafrog Member Posts: 2 New User

Weird... Am I the only one where it displayed "This PC is not compatible" during the W8.1 install from the Store ?

• padgett

Did you grab the 32 bit version ?

• megaforce1020
    megaforce1020 Member Posts: 2 New User

What kind of problem do you come up with?

• TakyBB

playing windows 8.1 for a day. its quite solid. the spilt screen from the mail client doesnt work that well for a small screen like W510. i also have more typos with the new onscreen keyboars than before.

This discussion has been closed.