Iconia A200 frozen at Acer logo boot screen

JimJames
JimJames Member Posts: 1 New User

I have two broken A200s with Android 4.0.3 and image version Acer_AV041_A200_RV07RC11_AAP_AU. These shipped with Android 3.x and upgraded to 4.0. 

Trying to attempt an out of warranty recovery at home and get one fully working device.

Spare A200 boots and runs normally but the touchscreen is flaky - dead areas and sometimes the whole screen starts flickering uncontrollably.

The other broken A200 was working normally until suddenly bricked a couple of days ago. About 12 months and 2 weeks after purchase...

I did nothing to trigger this except frequent use recently, so thinking of hardware failure or even a virus.

It freezes at the Acer boot logo.

Tried factory reset switch (does nothing).
Tried SD card update mode but always get Recovery Verified Failed message - probably not getting as far as actually reading anything off the SD card.
Tried installing Android SDK, Acer USB driver and using fastboot.
Tablet can boot to bootloader starting fastboot message.
There is some communication.

fastboot devices shows ?

fastboot oem unlock shows an Acer warning message and the padlock image then gets message Failed to set unlock mode.

Tried downloading various versions of free A200 recovery tools. mempodroid is flagged as a virus on my PC so reluctant to attempt that.

Is there anything else I should try to get a software recovery/repair?

Could I make a backup image of one tablet and install onto the other using fastboot or SD card?

What will happen if I open up the two tablets, swap the motherboard from the partly working spare into the bricked one and then reassemble?

I logged a support request with Acer but no reply.

Would love to hear from an Acer tech - am I wasting my time with this should they go in the recycling bin or can I get something working here that the kids can use for their games?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

A number of people have had good results by contacting Acer on Facebook...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Philman
    Philman Member Posts: 255 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

You can go to the XDA wiki with some usefull links XDA A200

This discussion has been closed.