Switch 10E recovery and boot partition destroyed - how do I recover from this?

Bob-J
Bob-J Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

So I created one giant partition out of all of the existing partitions to install Linux, and now all I can do is enter the boot menu - no external USB drive is recognized.  Is there any way to recover from this or have I bricked the computer?

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

the installation USB flash drive must be FAT32 formatted and GPT partition scheme to be recognised by BIOS.

you need to enable F12 boot menu list on BIOS too, so you can press F12 at boot and then choose your bootable device.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Bob-J

I did that.  The boot option menu is empty.

• Bob-J

So I've managed to get two images to boot - Cloudready (Chromeos, sort of - does not recognize the wireless and thus won't get past the setup screen) and Android-X86 32 bit latest build (works mostly).  Both of these will install to the hard drive, but the intallations won't boot from the hard drive.  I've tried various Linux Mint distros with no luck.   I've tried installing with Rufus,  Lili, and win32DiskImager, all of which worked with the Cloudready and android X86 images.

Guess I'll look at other Linux distros and see if I can find one that will boot and install a working OS.

Thanks for your help!

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

i think Ubuntu can work or Lubuntu.

if both don't boot, probably you must add EFI file to the trusted EFI bootable on BIOS.

you need to set a supervisor password to do it.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2289754

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Bob-J

Yup, that's the secret.  I got Linux Mint to boot from USB, but the WIFI isn't detected and I don't have a dongle handy.  I'll keep trying, Ubuntu next.