First key typed on Alpha Switch 12 keyboard doesn't register

JCaprioli
JCaprioli Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

Hi there. I have a Switch Alpha 12. When I type using the backlit keyboard, often times the first letter typed doesn't appear on screen. This happens when the device is idle yet still running (e.g.: display is on), sometimes even as few as several seconds. It's almost as if the keyboard goes into some sort of sleep mode separate from the PC and requires the first key typed to activate before it actually starts typing characters on the screen. For example, if the device has been idle, usually long enough for the backlight on the keyboard to turn off but not long enough for the display to turn off, and I attempt to type the word 'acer' in a search box in a browser, I will initially only get 'cer'.

Has anyone else seen this? Is it a setting that can be adjusted? Or a software issue? Or is my keyboard cover defective?

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

We used to see that with the W700, turned out to be the power settings for the keyboard was allowing it to go to sleep and the first key press was being used to wake it up. Check to see which USB device the keyboard is and then check power settings in its properties.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

We used to see that with the W700, turned out to be the power settings for the keyboard was allowing it to go to sleep and the first key press was being used to wake it up. Check to see which USB device the keyboard is and then check power settings in its properties.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JCaprioli

Thank you so much for your recommendation. I gave this a try and used it for a few days and it seems to have solved the issue! The trick, as you said, was figuring out which of the three USB Input Devices under Human Interface Device was the keyboard.

Ironically I just got a keyboard firmware update alert from Acer that I beleive addresses this very issue. So I've restored the Power Management settings for the Input Devices and applied the update. So far so good!

If anyone else is seeing this issue, make sure you get the keyboard firmware update from the Acer Care Center app.

• aperali
    aperali Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

I have 2 possibilities: one is "Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controler - 1.0 (Microsoft)" and another is "USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)", both have option for the power management. Which one should I choose for the backlit keyboard?

Thank you,

• JCaprioli
    aperali said:

Hi,

I have 2 possibilities: one is "Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controler - 1.0 (Microsoft)" and another is "USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)", both have option for the power management. Which one should I choose for the backlit keyboard?

Thank you,

I disabled the power management on "Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controler - 1.0 (Microsoft)" and that seems to have worked.