Can I charge Switch Alpha 12 via USB type-c 3.1 port?

2»

Answers

• shutterfly
    shutterfly Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

This one works for sure, as I have tried it.

• shutterfly
    shutterfly Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

I had exactly the same issue when I purchased this 60W charging station.

Interestingly the internet usb-c guru Benson Cheung has tested this charger and gave it high remarks.

usb-c charging seems to be a wide-wild-west thing, based on each manufacturer's implementation, compatibility is not always guaranteed. 

• jameschrislloyd
    jameschrislloyd Member Posts: 4 New User

Very happy to confirm that the Targus item linked above works brilliantly.  PLus it is small since it is a wall wart module - no extra ac cord.  Well worth it.  Thanks again to the forum!

• gregoryx
    gregoryx Member Posts: 23 Troubleshooter
    For anyone interested in the above Targus ($54), consider this Dell that is $26 and works equally well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FI7W7QO/
  • nofanisgood
    nofanisgood Member Posts: 1 New User
    I bought the same Lumsing usb–c charger. It really can charge the sa12 laptop when the laptopHowever, if the battery is fully used to power down, this charger CAN NOT charge it at all!

shutterfly said:

That's not necessary true about the '20v 45w' statement from Acer.

I found Lumsing usb-c charger: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I1OIRQA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The usb-c part only output 29w @14.5V but it works perfectly for the SA12

• yupr
    yupr Member Posts: 1 New User
    My Switch Alpha charges great with an Apple 87W adapter ($40 used from eBay) (and an 87W Kuppet adapter from Amazon, but Kuppet causes huge problems with my Dell XPS 15, so I do NOT recommend it). It charges straight into the tablet or through my (HDMI USB-A Ethernet) hub. When my Switch Alpha fully discharged, it refused to charge USB to reanimate. I used the Acer power adapter to charge it 4%, and then it was happy to charge from the Apple 87W again. The Apple provides low power to my Nexus 5X phone, medium to Switch Alpha tablet and XPS13, and high power to my XPS15, just like the USB PD spec says it should. I love it! :)
  • VICDOT
    VICDOT Member Posts: 2 New User
    Yes. It is possible to charge the switch alpha 12 over USB-C but be careful: If the battery was drained to total zero, you will first have to charge it for a few minutes with the standard charger (with the 3,0*1,1 mm plug) to wake it up and then you can continue later with USB-C!
  • Jeveco
    Jeveco Member Posts: 1 New User
    Good morning,

I bought the Lumsing 48W charger (as mentioned above) a year ago. Works like a charm. But I find it quite bulky, and would prefer a smaller charger to easily take with me.

What I would like to add, is that the official Nintendo Switch AC adapter (haha, what's in the name), works as a charm as well!
    I'm in the Netherlands, so EU plug of course.
    It's approx 1mm thicker, but approx 30-35% smaller in  surface size.
  • DaniloMisura
    DaniloMisura Member Posts: 2 New User
    VICDOT said:
    Yes. It is possible to charge the switch alpha 12 over USB-C but be careful: If the battery was drained to total zero, you will first have to charge it for a few minutes with the standard charger (with the 3,0*1,1 mm plug) to wake it up and then you can continue later with USB-C!
    Was this flaw already fixed by some BIOS update? Cause this way it's very unreliable! Some times when I travel with my USB-C charger, I forget it in sleep mode then I'm stuck with an empty battery.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    I don't believe there is a software solution to this, other than changing your settings to automatically shut down or hibernate on a higher battery percentage than the standard 3%.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.