Alpha 12 Keyboard Disconnecting Issues

sLapz
sLapz Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2018 in Switch Series

Is it really that easy to disconnect the keyboard? The keyboard and touchpad seems to disable alot when I am using it on my lap. Everytime I switch places, or move it slightly, the keyboard disconnects, and then I have to disconnect the keyboard physically, and connect again to enable it back.

It also happens when it is on a desk, I am not sure what triggers it, but it disables on its own.

I have already upgraded the FW of the keyboard based on the update in your website, I think it is the one in 8/23.

Thank you!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer

u might take a close look to see if there is any interferance between the keyboard and tablet. Dirty contacts or a bent magnet might cause you symptoms. I use mine on my lap often and other than not being able to easily click on a taskbar icon I have no problems with it.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • sLapz

Thank you for the response. But I don't see any irregularities on the contact points. Judging from the response I got from this thread, this issue is not affecting a lot of users. Oh well, I think I just have to get use to it, since I really don't want the hassle of sending the unit back for repair. Bummer, I really like this unit absent this annoying issue.

• KyleM
    KyleM Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Shortly after I began using my SA12 the keyboard began to give me trouble, it actually looked hard broke with the lights comming on if pressed and going off immediately if you let go, a bit like a short circuit.  I contacted customer support and they suggested a restart (yeah right i said to myself).  It has worked flawlessly since then.

It may be software, but it is defective, you should return it.  Mine has never given a hint of problems, well other than not registering the first press many times.  It is not a design fault.

• sLapz

I have reset my device, choosing the remove my files option. It's a pain to reinstall everything, but it seems the issue is fixed now. I will give it a few more days to see if it actually fixed the problem, if not, I will update this thread.

Thank you!

• Tophee
    Tophee Member Posts: 3 New User

For me, the issue is not quite as bad, but still annoying. From time to time (and I see no pattern in this) the touch-pad becomes semi-responsive while the keys still work (most of the time at least). I then have to remove and re-attach the keyboard and then it works again. By "semi-responsive" I mean that I can still use it to move the mouse pointer but I can no longer tap-to-click. Only the hardware click works (i.e. pressing down the touch pad till it clicks).

It looks to me like an issue that can easily be fixed with a software update of some sort (a driver update I suppose). 

Yet another issue that Acer needs to fix but probably wont.

UPDATE: Ther is actually an update for the Keyboard firmware available for download. It says that it's to fix the problem with the flickering back light, but who knows, maybe it will also fix other keyboard issue? I just downloaded and installed it. Now let's see...

• Tophee
    Tophee Member Posts: 3 New User

Unfortunately, the update of the keyboard firmware did not help at all. But since I installed it manually via the download link mentioned in my previous post, I had a chance to see that the Acer Care Center is so basic that it did not even notice that I already updated the keyboard firmware. It kept reminding me that I should make an update. Well, if they can't even program an app that checks if you need updating, I doubt that they will manage to fix that keyboard issue. Will probably have to return the device.

• adnynajiy88
    adnynajiy88 Member Posts: 3 New User

hello there.. i just want to know is there possible way to disconnect the keyboard or to remove it safely because my SA12 always says to remove the keyboard properly to prevent any data lost..any information could be useful thank you.   : )

• ronenfe
    ronenfe Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

I got the same issue after half year of use. Reinstalling the driver or reconnecting the keyboard makes them work until the next time. I contacted support and need to replace the keyboard. I'm not sure if it's a hardware issue or software.
  • asmd
    asmd Member Posts: 13 New User

i have the same problem.

touchpad goes wonky... taps dont work, multi coutch doesnt work,...but right click and left click work. 

detach and reattach keyboard and it works again like it should.

no pattern to it, just happens at random.

also, when i fold the keyboard back, it gives a usb detach safely warning. same when i fold it bback to pc mode.

hope theres a fix for this.

• ronenfe

Tinkerer

I think I've developed a solution. If you rescan for hardware changes in device manager, the keyboard will start working again for a while. 

So what I did is creating a scheduled task that rescan the hardware every 10 minutes. this is the command you need to run;

C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer Quick Access\drivers\devcon.exe rescan

Shame on you Acer for not fixing this issue.

• emac72
    emac72 Member Posts: 9 New User

Thank you for this solution.  While it is slightly annoying it has worked for me so far.  What is really frustrating is that it runs in tablet mode as well (which is unecessary).  Acer please solve this.  I was going to send in for repair until this solution came up but as far as I can tell this is a software/driver issue with the keyboard and tablet.  I can't believe that more people don't have it.

• ronenfe

Tinkerer

It doesn't always work, I've created also a shortcut for this command and put it on the taskbar, you have to run it as administrator. When the keyboard stops working, I tap this shortcut.

• emac72
    Just after you replied it started happening again for me. So frustrating. I have started a warranty fix. I will let you know what they say it is.
  • emac72

So I got the warranty fix done and just recieved my device back today (I live in TX about an hour away from the repair center).  On the repair slip they noted that they replaced the motherboard and also the keyboard. Mine is an I3 128gb with 4 gb ram.  I plan to call them tomorrow to get more information.

So far no issues and was pleased with the level of service and turnaround time from Acer.

• Keystone_56
    Keystone_56 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Got my Alpha 12 today and I'm having the same issue. Ordered through Amazon, and I have a replacment on the way. Just wondering if there is a trend on this problem. Ie only with a certain configuration. I need this device for my business and can't afford the slowdown. Thanks
  • emac72

So I got the repair report and they verified that it was a tablet problem and not the keyboard.  It seems to be a hardware issue.  With the replaced mainboard I have been going strong for a few days without any issues on connection with the KB...though now my usb c to VGA adaptor is not working.

Also, they shipped it back with Bios 1.01 which even isn't in the support forum.  Current is 1.04 I believe.

• asmd
    asmd Member Posts: 13 New User
    I'm still having the intermittent problem. Strange how they reported as hardware problem considering it's not a keyboard disconnect but only partially works. Touchpad gestures becomes unresponsive. .. but the mouse part of it works.... go figure. And removing the keyboard and reattaching it restores normal function.
  • emac72

Strange right.  It is so annoying.  So far I am glad I did the warranty fix.  Since it is hardware it was never going to get better...only worse.  The forums mention other Motherboard issues so I wonder if it is just a QC problem. 

• ronenfe

Tinkerer

After resetting the compuer to the factory settings, I can conclude that this is not a software problem as it has just happend again.

• Jabrnet
    Jabrnet Member Posts: 1 New User
    I just bought an i5 version and it's had this issue since new. Good to know it's a hardware issue. I'll be returning it.