Swift 3 won't turn on - Acer SF3-14

Answers

• Jose-Acer
    Jose-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,335 Community Administrator

Hello everyone,

We're sorry that you're having issues with the screen on your Swift 3 laptops.  If you have tried a power reset and the issue persists, it might be a hardware issue and unfortunately the unit needs to be set up for repair.  Please contact your local Support service for more information on how to set up a unit for repair.

• Sam4
    Sam4 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have had my Swift three for maybe 8 hours and now it is doing this exact same thing. Lit up keyboard but not turning on. Has anyone figured out a way to fix this from home? I tried all the suggestions in previous messages but nothing.

It's a real pain cause this was a gift from my folks to replace an old work computer as I work from home a lot.
  • Jose-Acer
    Jose-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,335 Community Administrator

Hello everyone,

A BIOS update, version 1.07, has been released to address this issue.  You can check the version of the BIOS installed in your unit by following these steps:

1. Click the Start Start menu.
    2. Click All apps.
    3. Click on the Acer folder and click Acer Care Center.
    4. Click the green tile in Acer Care Center labeled My System.
    5. Your BIOS version will be displayed below your Serial Number and SNID.

If you do not have version 1.07 installed, you can download it from our Drivers and Manuals website.

For units that are not displaying image, please contact your local Support organization to set the unit up for repair.

• ice64
    ice64 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello,

For units that are not displaying image, is it not possible to flash BIOS 1.0.7 with Fn + Esc and a USB key ?

• rodrigouriarte
    rodrigouriarte Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hi im stuck in a black screen and no windows nor bios load, how do you update the bios, only on wondows? Im tying via USB but cant do it. Thks MODEL: Acer Sw314-52g
  • rodrigouriarte
    rodrigouriarte Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I have the solution for the acer sf314 52g, email me at rodrigo.uriarte@hotmail.com
  • TibiAcer
    TibiAcer Member Posts: 1 New User
    Soon after we purchase the Swift 3 we encounter the power button issue. My son was keeping-it always on sleep to avoid to use the power button.
    Today he just turned-it  off by mistake and it was not turning on again. I had to find a video on youtube on how to open this model. It is not easy, you need plastic guitar picks.
    Once opened I have noticed right away the keybord flex cable was not inserted fully in the connector. Probably because the battery is sitting on it.
    Gently push the locking part (white) to look exactly as in the picture. The result was  restoring full functionality of the power button.
  • John0129
    John0129 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hey guys! My friend have a lastest version of Swift 3 (SF315-51G) with coffee lake Intel CPU. Guess what? I encounter with the same exact trouble... What the f*... And now hope the lazy acer company can completely face and fix this issue....
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    edited April 2018

Have elevated the cable connector issue. This seems mainly an issue of devices with the power button as part of the keyboard rather than on the side.

• P3RS0NN
    P3RS0NN Member Posts: 32 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Had a similar situation last week.. Was working in lightroom, finished up a book and went down tto have dinner. The battery was charged fully. Came back to turn it on, keyboard turned on, I think Acer flashed once and then it turned off.

I called Acer to see if they can help me out. They made me follow some steps with pressing a pin into the battery button on the bottom side. After half an hour, nothing worked so they told me to send off to Acer to have it looked at. 

I got a call from them today saying it's ready and asked what the issue was. Apparently it was an issue with BIOS. (I was a bit skeptical about getting a machine with Intel i5 6200 because I did some research prior when I was thinking of getting an intel nuc's; which were failing due to heat). Hopefully it's just a BIOS issue and nothing else.

I'd recommend to give Acer a call and troubleshoot it, if all fails send it back and have them take a look at it. 

Did they have to erase data on your hard drive? Do you know if this would be the problem on all Acer laptops?
  • MaraRojas
    MaraRojas Member Posts: 1 New User
    hello...can someone help me fix my swift 3?? it doesnt turn on and not charging too.
    how could I fix it??
  • MikeW1
    MikeW1 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi, I have the same problem with my Switch 3, power light on but only a black screen. Travelling around Nepal at the moment so lack of working machine hurts. Is there an authorised dealer in Pokhara or Kathmandu I can take it to?
  • Gowtham23
    Gowtham23 Member Posts: 2 New User
    fw88 said:

Brand new Swift 3 (SF3-14), using it without any problems for two days. Did all the Windows updates. I got up and put the computer to sleep by closing the lid. When I came back (10 minutes later), I opened the lid and the screen didn't turn on. Strange. The indicator lights on the side were still flashing. The battery is almost completely charged as well. I decided to turn it off by holding the power button down for 10 seconds. I waited and then tried to boot the computer back up again (with the plug in). No response at all. The keyboard lights just blink on, and then off. 

Afw88 said:

Brand new Swift 3 (SF3-14), using it without any problems for two days. Did all the Windows updates. I got up and put the computer to sleep by closing the lid. When I came back (10 minutes later), I opened the lid and the screen didn't turn on. Strange. The indicator lights on the side were still flashing. The battery is almost completely charged as well. I decided to turn it off by holding the power button down for 10 seconds. I waited and then tried to boot the computer back up again (with the plug in). No response at all. The keyboard lights just blink on, and then off. 

Any idea how to get this thing back on? 

I Faced The Same Problem Here Played A Few Games And Later I Put it on Charging After A Few Hours When I Came Back The Lap Has Gone Black It won't turn On I Had Only Put it to sleep So Immediately I Pulled Out The Charger Pin From The Socket But Even After That The Yellow Light Was Glowing Very Strange The Very Next Thing I Did Was To See If The Problem Was Common On I Saw This page and I See lot of you guys Faced The Same Problem So I Decided to Go to A Acer Service Centre 

Before that I Thought To Do Somthing That From part to make my lap work After I saw this page I understood this is a battery Problem 

This Is What I did And My Lap Is On again But at three cost of my esc  key 

So First Thing To Do is Completely Darin Of Your Battery I Had three orange light glowing in the Night So I Decided That At morning The Battery will be fully drained out and orange light would go off when I saw the lap on morning the light went off 

Second thing is to reset the battery Manually But Using the pin hole behind the laptop Use the sim ejector tool and press the pin hole of about 5 seconds 

Then Praying to the almighty I Plugged In The Charger and Pressed the Power on button And It Booted Up After the keyboard started glowing I Noticed that the escape key came off But I Could Fix that 

So This What I did To Bring my lap to Life Try This Simple Method might as well as work

• Gowtham23
    Gowtham23 Member Posts: 2 New User

I Faced The Same Problem Here Played A Few Games And Later I Put it on Charging After A Few Hours When I Came Back The Lap Has Gone Black It won't turn On I Had Only Put it to sleep So Immediately I Pulled Out The Charger Pin From The Socket But Even After That The Yellow Light Was Glowing Very Strange The Very Next Thing I Did Was To See If The Problem Was Common On I Saw This page and I See lot of you guys Faced The Same Problem So I Decided to Go to A Acer Service Centre 

Before that I Thought To Do Somthing That From part to make my lap work After I saw this page I understood this is a battery Problem 

This Is What I did And My Lap Is On again But at three cost of my esc  key 

So First Thing To Do is Completely Darin Of Your Battery I Had three orange light glowing in the Night So I Decided That At morning The Battery will be fully drained out and orange light would go off when I saw the lap on morning the light went off 

Second thing is to reset the battery Manually But Using the pin hole behind the laptop Use the sim ejector tool and press the pin hole of about 5 seconds 

Then Praying to the almighty I Plugged In The Charger and Pressed the Power on button And It Booted Up After the keyboard started glowing I Noticed that the escape key came off But I Could Fix that 

So This What I did To Bring my lap to Life Try This Simple Method might as well as work

• uniweather
    uniweather Member Posts: 2 New User
    OMG My Mind is TOTALLY Blown... My, how the mighty have fallen. It's bad enough that my BRAND NEW, 6 DAY OLD Acer Swift 3 flat out up and DIED, but then it took me another 90 minutes of fighting with this GLITCHY Website just to get registered with Acer in order to lodge a complaint. I've been fixing, customizing, Reviewing, and building laptops for over 20 years and have always LOVED Acers... so much so that of the 5 times in my life I've ever bought a new laptop, 4 of them have been Acers... which is saying something since normally I prefer to buy cheap, broken laptops of various makes and repair then use them. That all being said, My new Acer Swift DIED after using it for 6 DAYS and I hope they fix it. I've tried everything I can think of within the confines of the warranty. I guess I'll be shipping it back to Acer or Office Depot (which is who I bought it from). Thank God my old backup Toshiba didn't let me down. I've NEVER had bad luck with any Toshiba I've ever owned... including the one I'm typing on now to post this comment. It's a shame, I absolutely love the design of the new Acer I just bought but it's useless to me if it doesn't work and won't even turn on. 
  • Orla
    Orla Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same thing happened to me I held down volume +, volume -, and power button for 30 seconds, waited afew seconds and pressed power button and it switched back on!
  • Danielo19
    Danielo19 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same problem after 1 month,unacceptable!  I hope they solve the problem definitively, I have already sent the pc to assistance.
  • Gryelme
    Gryelme Member Posts: 1 New User
    Don't buy Acer Swift 3!
    I bought 1 - returned it 6 days later - couldn't turn on - nothing happened. No reaction on power supply on or off. Only orange light on the battery indicator.

But then we got a new one - worked well - for 13 days - SAME THING HAPPENED!
    Lid was closed and it didn't turn on again at all...
    So going back in again today to return it and this GETTING ANOTHER BRAND!
    And most certainly one with a separate powerbuttom on the side - not part of the keyboard!
  • SGCHOATE
    SGCHOATE Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have been having the same issue since last month and only got this laptop in December. I was told to turn it off and and hit the small battery pin hole underneath. We shall see if this resolved the issue but I doubt it. My husband also has an Acer, a different model and hasn't had any issues with it after having it a few years. If the problem persists I will update. 
  • Jb2019
    Jb2019 Member Posts: 1 New User
    TibiAcer said:
    Soon after we purchase the Swift 3 we encounter the power button issue. My son was keeping-it always on sleep to avoid to use the power button.
    Today he just turned-it  off by mistake and it was not turning on again. I had to find a video on youtube on how to open this model. It is not easy, you need plastic guitar picks.
    Once opened I have noticed right away the keybord flex cable was not inserted fully in the connector. Probably because the battery is sitting on it.
    Gently push the locking part (white) to look exactly as in the picture. The result was  restoring full functionality of the power button.
    BLESS YOU, that fixed it. So simple but so frustrating that you would need to fix this on a brand new laptop.