Spin 1 SP111-31N-C4UG upgradeable HDD? No SD slot?

sprtfan
sprtfan Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

I was looking at buying an Acer Spin 1 SP111-31N-C4U.  I was comparing it to a similar model that Target has (Acer Spin 1 SP111-31-C2W3).  The SP111-31N-C4U does not have an SD slot listed and wanted to see if the hard drive would be able to be upgraded to a large one if I needs additional space later?  or does it have an SD slot?  Ideally, I'd like to be able to upgrade the hard drive but at the very least want to have the option to add storage by and SD card if needed.  I could get the C2W3 but wanted the stylus and liked the look of the C4u better.  Thanks

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer

Hello,

Both models are shipped with the same motherboard and the same card reader board (SD card reader). They are equipped with an eMMC of 32Gb directly soldered to the motherboard so non removable.

France
  • sprtfan
    sprtfan Member Posts: 3 New User

Thanks, when I did the comparison on Acers website it said that the C4UG did not have an SD card slot and was why I was concerned

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer

Yes it is ambiguous! Smiley Happy

Acer store --> Memory card reader: No

https://store.acer.com/en-us/laptops/spin-thin-light-convertible/spin-1-laptop-sp111-31n-c4ug

Newegg --> SD card reader: Yes

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1TS-000X-00R21

I confirm that this model is shipped with an SD card reader.

France
  • Luke7000
    Luke7000 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello,

Both models are shipped with the same motherboard and the same card reader board (SD card reader). They are equipped with an eMMC of 32Gb directly soldered to the motherboard so non removable.

Hi there,
    I meant to buy the 64gb eMMC version and then upgrade the HDD, but apparently the only way to upgrade the HDD is buying the 500gb version...am I right? Does it not come with 2 HDD slots? 

thanks
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

My Spin 1 C4UG has an SD card slot on the right side, have a 64GB in there at the moment. AFAIK the eMMC versions are not upgradable, mine has a 32GB so a 64GB version would be good. OTOH I have an R3 that came with a WD 500 GB HDD that I replaced with a much faster Samsung EVO 850. You need to be very careful with Acer model numbers particularly the last four characters. Also the N4200 4core is better than the N3350 2core.

In general if the last character in the second group is an N then it is equipped for a stylus. If the first character of the third group a C, then it probably has an eMMC and if the first character is a P then it is usually a more upscale model.

• ulli
    ulli Member Posts: 2 New User
    Could you explain how you changed the hdd to ssd. I have the spin 1 with 500 gb hdd. i tried briefly to change it to a ssd but there was no drive detected in the bios menu