S7: black screen on startup

2»

Answers

• ric0sm00th
    ric0sm00th Member Posts: 1 New User

Greetings all,

I've been dealing with this same problem essentially since I got my Acer. There are two things have worked for me but first, there is NOTHING wrong with your drivers or HDD (regardless of what Acer says). I've found that it has to do with the connection between the mother board and the physical screen. I'm not a PC tech but I know enough to manage my way around hardware and this is what has worked for me:

Solution 1:

As stated by other users, perform a hard restart. Remove the battery and leave everything unplugged for a few seconds then only plug the laptop in (without battery). This has actually worked very well for me for many months however in recent times I had to do this multiple times before the video card would boot on start up.

Solution 2:

As stated above I do believe this has to do with the connection between the mother board and physical screen. Instead of opening the laptop screen to a full 90 degrees (completely upright) I leave the screen partially closed at or less than 45 degrees and press the start button.

Again, I am NOT a PC or laptop tech and this is purely anecdotal but for whatever reason this has worked very well for me. I don't want to discredit other suggestions such as checking your drivers and updating them but in my case none of that was the issue.

I hope this helps; this is a very frustrating problem and unfortunately Acer isn't very helpful.

• glennyangyi
    glennyangyi Member Posts: 1 New User

hi there! Just wanted to say thank you so much for posting the solution. will pay it forward Smiley Happy.

• jessica2
    jessica2 Member Posts: 3 New User
    itsworking on updates,wishmeluck
  • jessica2
    jessica2 Member Posts: 3 New User

thank you, from philippines,problem solve,

• jimmi1
    jimmi1 Member Posts: 2 New User
    yes this is highly annoying! a shame for microsoft, acer or both of them, i don't know which to blame. i was disappointed enough to set up an account here too to let you know this:

if you buy a new product i would expect it to run smoothly. not like the acer ES 15 (ES1-520-32NG) i got from a collegue to fix who is not so ambitioned/experienced with IT. i spent more than 12 hours to repair and have it run smoothly again, mainly because it was working so slow. so throwing it out of the window and buy a new laptop would have been cheaper if it was not a free service to a friend ;-)

well, first problem was, when starting up the machine the screen stayed black (no login, nothing), only the mouse pointer was visible. If you ever stumble upon this problem, here is what solved it in my case: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/120581/s7-black-screen-on-startup
    a rather obscure procedure to solve the problem but it worked!

okeydokey... since i am a nice buddy and set up the laptop myself some months ago i tried to find out why it is SOOOO slow. first of course a check for viruses. The free antivirus software from avira (https://www.avira.com) did not work anymore, by the way the only software that did not come originally with the laptop besides OpenOffice (https://www.openoffice.org).

Piece of cake i thought, remove and reinstall a new version of the avira antivirus software. couldn't make it work again. Next logical step: how about windows 10 updates in the past weeks? uupppssss, failed as well. this according to windows 10 error 0x8024200d. internet research said, that installing and "running" through this could solve it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

and it did! what can i say? finally i was able to reinstall the avira antivirus and the windows 10 updates. of course in the meantime all drivers and so on suggested by the acer care center were also updated. did not help one step, still no virus found, nor did CPU and RAM usage go significantly below 100%. hence still very slow when opening things, mouse pointer jumps...

more internet research had to be done until i found other reasons for the possible slowness of the acer es 15 running on windows 10 from LaaberFinn here (https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/415231/aspire-es-15-running-slow-brand-new/p1). Quite obvious solutions but i never expected that that they would have such huge impact on the performance. the laptop now is double as fast what is within expectations. Thank you so much (also in the name of my collegue) LaabeerFinn!!!

On the other hand to microsoft AND acer: this is not a procedure a customer should have to go through after buying a brand new product (or normal usage after a few months). I do hope you have plenty of cooperation and test teams to solve such problems BEFORE launching your products and using paying consumers as free guinea pigs. thank you

• Fukinhelpmenigga
    Fukinhelpmenigga Member Posts: 2 New User
    My problem is my computer cuts on but black screen of death. I did almost everything I can do to get it back working again. Sadly this computer doesn't have ram I can take out and replace it. I turn off my laptop, unplug it, unscrew behind my laptop, disconnect the battery, wait about 2 hours. Reconnect the battery, screw everything back to the way it was, flip it over, connect my charger plug in, press the power button on, still nothing but the blue light that indicate it's on. I ran out of options on this one. Do you have any suggestions on how to make it work. Anything is helpful. 
  • Fukinhelpmenigga
    Fukinhelpmenigga Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited March 2020
    My problem is my computer cuts on but black screen of death. I did almost everything I can do to get it back working again. Sadly this computer doesn't have ram I can take out and replace it. I turn off my laptop, unplug it, unscrew behind my laptop, disconnect the battery, wait about 2 hours. Reconnect the battery, screw everything back to the way it was, flip it over, connect my charger plug in, press the power button on, still nothing but the blue light that indicate it's on. I ran out of options on this one. Do you have any suggestions on how to make it work. Anything is helpful. 
    Btw I'm using 

Aspire A114-31 everything's build in...

• tech12
    tech12 Member Posts: 57 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Thanks wpaul