S7 191 broken hinge

luizedu
luizedu Member Posts: 17 New User

A hinge of my Acer S7 191 broke. I showed it to a few local repair shops and they said the whole display unit will have to be replaced. It will be an extremely expensive repair, not least because I imported the laptop and there are no easily available replacement parts for it in Brazil, but I can order parts from the UK and have a friend bring it to me next month.

What piece do I have to buy? The whole display unit, or is there a cheaper alternative? Also, can the hinge be repaired by soldering or gluing it? (I don't care if it looks ugly, as long as it works and doesn't cost a kidney)

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Here's a set of hinges from the UK. They won't be heavy and should be able to be packed into a small package.

I don't know if shipping would be a kidney.

http://www.ukpcspares.com/acer-aspire-s7191-lcd-hinges-p-123808.html

• luizedu
    luizedu Member Posts: 17 New User

Thanks, sounds like a good alternative! But the technicians I spoke to said they couldn't open the display unit because there are no screws, it's glued shut. Do you think a non-authorized technician would be able to do it?

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Looking at the breakdown of the display, I'm not sure I believe that seller about those hinges.

The Acer part numbers for the hinges are

Left Hinge 47.4WD07.001 

Right Hinge 47.4WD08.001

It looks like you would have to pull off the back frame (7) because the front (10) is the LCD module.

This looks like it wouldn't be worth it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=6M.M42N1.001&oq=6M.M42N1.001&aqs=chrome..69i57.1441j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#safe=off&q=6M.M42N1.001

2016-10-05_1958.jpg

• sumona
    sumona Member Posts: 2 New User

Find replacement parts in online websites.

What are the Hinges made of ?

The laptop hinges are mostly made of low-cost metal alloys,It is also called “pot metal.” Pot metal is not particularly durable, and over the course of a laptop’s life cycle, repeated opening and closing of the computer’s lid can cause wear that prevents the lid from staying in an open position. Hinges can also wear to the point that they break at the point of attachment, either on the lid or the computer’s body.

Problems associated with the Hinges ?

Hinges are not meant for repair, they can only be replaced if damaged anyhow. If the hinge is broken or too loose to keep the display in an open position, you have to replace it with a new one.

1. The laptop display feels loose. It will stay in the up position, but when you move the display it feels floppy.

First of all, try tightening screws securing both hinges to the laptop base and display cover. If tightening screws doesn’t help, apparently your hinges are worn out and will have to be replaced soon.

2. The display will not stat in the up position. When you open the display and leave it in the up position, it falls back.

Most likely one or both hinges are broken and need to be replaced. Even if only one hinge is broken, then it would be better to replace both hinges because the second one is worn out and could break too in the near future, you should immediately call a technician for Laptop Hinge Repair.

LAPTOP HINGE REPAIR

THINGS YOU’LL NEED

Flat-head screwdriver

Phillips-head screwdriver

Rubber cement

STEP 1

Purchase replacement parts on sites like amazon etc ,

STEP 2

Before you start to dissassemble the laptop you must remember to power it off, remove the power cable and battery from your laptop. Remove the hard drive and memory sticks from your laptop as well.

STEP 3

Remove any screws on the bottom of your laptop that hold the keyboard to the laptop base. Some laptops do not have a keyboard screwed in. Examine your laptop carefully. If in doubt, remove all screws located on the bottom and sides of the laptop. Keep track of all of your screws, and draw a quick diagram of where each one goes to make reassembly easier.

broken laptop hinge

STEP 4

Use a flathead screwdriver to carefully pry up and remove the keyboard bezel. The bezel is located along the top of the keyboard on most laptops. Remove the keyboard, and disconnect it from the motherboard.

STEP 5

Remove the hinge covers, if any, and disconnect any cables connecting the LCD display to the motherboard.

Replacing broken hinge

STEP 6

Remove any screws connecting the display to the laptop base. Carefully pull the display away from the laptop base.

STEP 7

Remove any screws connecting the two halves of the display assembly together. Use your fingers to carefully pry the front bezel away from the LCD display cover. Carefully remove the LCD display from the cover. The LCD display probably will be connected to a video cable. Unplug the video cable before removing the screen.

Laptop hinge screws

STEP 8

Remove any screws holding the hinges to the display cover. Replace with new hinges.

Replacing new hinge in laptop

STEP 9

Reassemble your laptop by reversing your previous steps.

source : Techyuga

Woman Happy