R7-572 - New Model?

jra166
jra166 Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

Hello.  Have there been updates as to whether or not we'll be seeing a follow-up to the R7-572?  If not a direct followup, will there be a new model with the Ezel Hinge? 

In this hybrid culture, I can't help but think if this model came out today, it would have been more widely accepted.  In my opinion, this is still one of the best designs (if not THE best) for a 15" hybrid. 

Answers

• b9chris
    b9chris Member Posts: 34 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Same question. I'd like an update to the R7 series that has:

• The same keyboard/touchpad flip. It seemed weird at first but it's actually a good idea.
    • The aluminum arm for holding the screen.

And some improvements:

• Reduced minimum brightness. In a dark room the minimum brightness on the R7-571 is too high, and a waste of battery power. I've had to use the Intel Display settings to artificially dim it in darker rooms, a real waste.
    • Windows 10 already installed, not "Windows 10 Ready" where I have to upgrade and discover the drivers don't work properly (as happened with my R7-571)
    • 512gb SSD and 12gb+ RAM model so I don't have to upgrade it to get a strong machine out of it, as I had to do with the R7-571 and would have to do with a 572.
    • Fewer laptop models. It feels like Acer is just spamming the market with models and then failing to support any of them. So many of them are practically identical to each other, it makes shopping for one confusing and the post-purchase experience extremely disappointing.
  • scrambler
    scrambler Member Posts: 127 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
  • scrambler

Loosing faith in Acer coming up with a new 15" Ezel hinge latop like the R7...

This upcoming HP will probably be the ticket for me then

http://www.slashgear.com/hp-spectre-x360-15-adds-4k-to-slick-convertible-05420739/

Would rather have an Ezel hinge than a flip, but this is the only exciting 2 in 1  15" in a while

• x_iso
    x_iso Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

I was watching recent IFA keynote and love the innovations from Acer, but one thing is missing for me.

Still using R7-571G and I think it's still the best laptop ever for me. Everything in it's design (except antenna compromise) is great and well thought. I can understand that in recent Acer's pursue for thinnest form-factors this kind of hinge design is adding too much thickness, but then R 13 is still not phased out and it's hinge design is worse (the only advantage is ability to fold it flat like tablet, which can be unnecessary) or to put it bluntly it's worse at everything in general. Let me tell what I love about R7:

1. Hinge design of course, ability to manipulate the display angle and position on unprecedent level and it hold position well even after years of usage and falling on edge. Unfortunately my model doesn't support pen, but I can tell that this kind of hinge is most helpful for working with Photoshop and other similar applications, you can still access keyboard shortcuts and draw on tilted screen that is close enough for comfort. It's also convenient for performing live music using touch-capable software (like Usine), again with having screen tilted and upfront, while also having keyboard and mouse accessible at any time. By the way in ths kind of scenario it's so good, that I can save money and hassle from having to use additional heavy and bulky midi hardware.

All other types of transformer laptops don't offer much of flexibility, you either have screen too close or too far away. R 13 hinge is a downgrade since it's getting in the way of adjusting the screen and it makes bezels too huge and screen too small to be useful. And the way R7 folds at sharp angle is more useful for artists (like Surface does with it's kickstand).

To sum it up, this kind of design is best for creative work.

2. Full aluminum chassis provide great endurance and good heat dissipation. I also love that it have 2 fans and it's quite easy to disassemble and change parts.

3. Needless to say, the reversed position of keyboard and touchpad is a good idea for this design.

4. Quite powerful hardware options (at least for it's time), still doesn't feel slow at all and it's gaming capable (might have to tone down settings for more recent games, but that's expectable for old model).

5. Backlit keyboard, also have a spill-proof wrapping (I don't think it was ever mentioned in specs), which also keeps mainboard away from dirt or pieces of food. It saved my laptop from a coffee spill once. Of course I immediately tunred it off, cleaned and disassembled, then cleaned from inside (I'm a service engineer myself, so that helped as well), it's just that I didn't had to deal with potential damage of the mainboard and it wouldn't fit in regular ultrasonic bath for deep cleaning.

6. Wide range of available ports (and dongles for what was missing were included). Also having at least one USB 2.0 turned out to be a blessing for compatibility with some old hardware that would refuse to work properly on USB 3.

7. Beautiful IPS screen and quite thin bezels for touchscreen.

If we can't have all that in new R series, then maybe repurpose those features on models like Predator Triton?

• scrambler

The vast majority of R7-57x love the easel design and wish Acer would make a new generation using it.

Unfortunately the design was misunderstood by the media, and got bad press, and that probably killed it.

I even made some design proposals a while back. The Acer link in my post above died when Acer deleted all the proposal posts, but I still have a pubic image repository of it below

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=4BE668230430EFDD%21987&cid=4BE668230430EFDD

One of the issue that was brought up by the press was the keyboard and keypad position, and the designs above have some proposals for a side by side keyboard and pad, as well as modular layouts.

In the mean time I am clinging to my two family R7-572 Smiley Happy