R13 R7-372T: Can it charge via USB-C batterypack?

midiboy
midiboy Member Posts: 29 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

Hi!

I am looking for a battery pack to charge both smartphone and notebook. There are very few portable chargers available with DC output so I was wondering if I could use one of the new USB-C chargers that can charge a 12 inch MacBook to also charge the Acer R13 R7-372T via USB-C.

For instance this one:

https://www.ravpower.com/20100mah-portable-charger-iSmart-3.0-Type-C.html

Will it charge slower than via DC-in?

Thanks for letting me know!

Alex

Best Answer

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew
    Answer ✓

The R7-372T supports charging via the USB-C. The power requirements for charging the notebook via this port is 19.5V 2.25A. Unfortunately Acer has not tested a battery pack and while we cannot tell you if it will charge slower than DC-in, though I suspect DC-in would be more efficient, if the device meet the power requirements it should work.

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew
    Answer ✓

The R7-372T supports charging via the USB-C. The power requirements for charging the notebook via this port is 19.5V 2.25A. Unfortunately Acer has not tested a battery pack and while we cannot tell you if it will charge slower than DC-in, though I suspect DC-in would be more efficient, if the device meet the power requirements it should work.

• midiboy
    midiboy Member Posts: 29 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Hi !

Thanks a lot for the answer. So far I have not found a USB-C powerbank that can supply 19.5V 2.25A. Doesnt seem to exist yet. The most I have found was 30 Watts. I hope for more choices next year.

• bastelspezi
    bastelspezi Member Posts: 3 New User

actually, this information must be incorrect. i just bought a ravpower 26800mah usb C PD powerbank that came with a small usb-c charger and both support 20V/1,5A via usb C. and only the wall-charger can charge the acer via its usb-c port. the powerbank doesnt (annyoingly). where as i read now in another amazon review that an acer switch alpha 12 actually does charge with this powerbank!

so something in this acer r7-372t keeps it from doing the same, some missing firmware update or possibly different hardware. but at least it charges from this little wallcharger from ravpower at about 23Watts. I can confirm that!

seems not even the manufacturers can see thru the usb-c mess! sad very sad :-(

• icmonkey123
    icmonkey123 Member Posts: 1 New User

Does the R14 support USB-C charging?

• KEHinWA
    KEHinWA Member Posts: 40 Devotee WiFi Icon

actually, this information must be incorrect. i just bought a ravpower 26800mah usb C PD powerbank that came with a small usb-c charger and both support 20V/1,5A via usb C. and only the wall-charger can charge the acer via its usb-c port. the powerbank doesnt (annyoingly). where as i read now in another amazon review that an acer switch alpha 12 actually does charge with this powerbank!

so something in this acer r7-372t keeps it from doing the same, some missing firmware update or possibly different hardware. but at least it charges from this little wallcharger from ravpower at about 23Watts. I can confirm that!

seems not even the manufacturers can see thru the usb-c mess! sad very sad :-(

There is NOTHING WRONG with the info provided.

You tried to use a 20V 30W battery pack.

ACER just told you USB C needs 20V (19.5) at 45 watt.

They are not confused.  You just need to pay attention to the WATT / AMPS  IE it needs to do 20v at least 2.25 Amps IE 45 Watts.

Volt X Amps = Watts.  I suspect with the right wattage the R13 can't tell the difference between an AC Adapter and a battery.  DELL is one of the few that tries to make sure you only use their adapters.